1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Microphones

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Arcee, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arcee

Arcee Thread Starter

Yo,

So I'm trying to use an external microphone 'cause the built in one on my laptop is terrible. I bought a Samson Q7 Dynamic Microphone and have the appropriate cables and connectors to plug it into my microphone jack but I can't record anything. All I get is this very ominous static/crackling coming from the microphone. I started reading it up and now I'm not sure if I need an audio interface, an amplifier, a sound card... I dunno but I'd like to use the microphone to record my voice.

Any advice?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Two things:
    a) check you've plugged it into the microphone socket not the speaker one.
    b) the internal speakers should be turned off as soon as you plug a microphone in to stop negative feedback ( that screech) so you will need earphones.

3. Arcee

Arcee Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

A) I have plugged it into the microphone socket.
    B) Already have earphones.

Anything else?

4. DaveBurnett

Open Device Manager and check that there are no Yellow Question marks against anything, especially Media/Sound devices.
    Can you test the Microphone and ALL the cables/connectors?
    Does the PC show all the Volume controls?
    No you should not need anything extra, although you could use the line out to an amp.
    Those sockets are the Input/Output from the built-in sound card.
    What make/model laptop?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

A dynamic mike is likely not going to work. I've discovered over the years that getting a mike to work well with sound cards is witchcraft. I have a bag full of mikes, and most produce no sound at all on the system. Others have very low volume. You may have to try a few mikes to get one that works well, but price does not guarantee anything, either. The one that works best on my laptop is a $1 Chinese job.[​IMG]

I have a box of them in back if you want one. :D

Mikes sold as computer mikes work the best.

6. Arcee

Arcee Thread Starter

No yellow question marks in device manager.

Well the thing is the crackling is detected in sound recorder. When the mic crackles the green bar indicates it.

Yes the volume is set to high. It's not about volume.

My laptop is a toshiba satellite.

7. DaveBurnett

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice