1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Modem driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drron, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drron

drron Thread Starter

I have given up on getting my internal modem working and have obtained an external from my sister--the problem is, I don't have the CD with the driver installation files. I did download the files from the Zoom.com website, but when I try to install, after several files are copied I get the message: "Turn your computer off, un-plug it and connect the modem. Be sure to leave the CD in the drive and re-start your computer."

Obviously, the installation program would continue from the CD if it were in the drive, but as I said, I don't have one! Is there any way to get around this so the installation will proceed from the downloaded files?

Thanks,
    Drron

No witty sayings, available--probably 'brain-dead'.

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

ARE YOu using Windows and what version?

What's the model of your zoom modem?

Once we know we will see what we can find out.

but usually what will happen in that situation is your computer will look for the CD,won't find it and will ask you to tell it where the files are located, which would usually be in the same directory as the setup file or in the temp directory or wherever the setup file extracted the .inf and .sys files.

3. plejon

plejon

If you own or have access to a cd-writer, you could try to write the files you have downloaded to a cd.

If you downloaded the files, chances are that they are somehow archived. Make sure to unarchive them first, then copy the unpacked files to the cd.

4. drron

drron Thread Starter

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't have a CD writer or access to one. How about putting the files on a floppy(ies)? I'll try that now and let you know what happens.

5. drron

drron Thread Starter

I apologize to "shadow2531", somehow I never saw your message before today!

I'm using Win98se and the modem is a Zoom/FaxModem 56K DualMode, Model 2949L.

I've tried to put the files on a floppy, but that didn't work. Like I said, when I click on "setup", everything progresses normally until the reboot instruction which says to make sure the CD stays in the drive. When I reboot, there is no evidence that I have done anything--no queries about the file location, or anything. It's as if I had never tried to run the setup.

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

see what I can find

7. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I checked on your modem. I noticed it is a lucent modem. YOu maybe be able to use lucent's reference drivers from their site.

I also went to zoom for the drivers. Just to make sure you got the right ones, here is the link

http://www.zoom.com/techsprt/drivers/ltmodem.exe

8. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I checked out the drivers that are for your modem even thought I don't have that modem. I didn't get the the problem of it ask for the Cd but after the installation was finished, nothing happened, nothing was installed, no files were extracted to any directory that I know of. So those drivers are junk if you ask me.

however, there are older drivers that came with windows for external zoom modems.

contol panel>add new hardware>choose to select hardware from a list instead of searching for one>modems>dont detect>zoom>zoom external 56k lucent (lt) voice fax modem

you could try that. Or when it asks you to search for drivers. try that and let windows install the drivers.

of course make sure you have com1 or 2 enabled in the bios. If only com1 is enabled, make sure you have the external modem connected to com1.

you can also upgrade to v.90 by flashing with this http://www.zoom.com/techsprt/k56flex/ez52099i.exe if you haven't already done it before.

be careful with the flashing and follow directions.

brb. at lucent site

couldn't find a driver for external modems at lucent/agere. could only find drivers for internal.

I see what you mean about the cd now.

gonna extract the files from the cab files included in the exe . Then you shouldn't need the cd.

9. drron

drron Thread Starter

Thanks Shadow2531.

Com2 is enabled. I tried the Windows drivers. Windows does not find the modem when it searches, so I picked it from the list and Windows reports it as installed, but when I run Diagnostics from the Control Panel/Modems, the 'TR' LED on the modem lights up (the CS light is already on) and the message comes back, "Modem does not respond..." When I click OK, the next window has a hardware identifier showing! When I try to connect, I get the Error 630 code, "Modem is not responding..."

I think there's something wrong with the modem and am planning to exchange it.

10. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

It's possible, but the driver you tried to use could be incompatible too. It was worth a try though. Before you give up, I would contact zoom. They do respond to their emails so you should get some kind of response. I am not sure how to extract from non-standard cab files yet. I am trying to figure this one out. If anyone knows of a utility or method, let me know.

11. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I tried downloading an older driver from a different site. same thing. when it asks for the cd, there are no files anywhere on my hard drive.

So maybe there is no simple way around it without having the cd.

I am suprised that windows didn't detect it and install a generic external driver for it.

12. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I asked zoom myself about the drivers. The reference number for the question is '011119-000091'. It will be a few days for a reply.

I doubt they will but I told them to send me all the files zipped up plus all files needed from cd rom.

we'll see what they do.

13. drron

drron Thread Starter

I have contacted Zoom. The do reply, but it takes them about 2-3 days and then they obviously haven't read everything I told them, because they address only one part of my explanation and ask questions that are already answered in the rest of it!

14. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

zoom replied back and said to download a different ltmodem.exe driver from http://zoom.com/ts1/analog/v90lucent.shtml.

They said that this one would not require the cd and would work.

You can try it and hopefully it works.

on the page, it says this

"This is the same Install Shield that shipped on ZoomLink CD PN:28978-A and -B. It is not an update. "

Hopefully it will work.

If it doesn't I guess ya might as well get a new external modem like a zoom 3049 v.92. If you even want to deal with zoom again.

good luck

I did check the file out and it acts just like the other one, but since I don't actually have the modem, I can't really test it for sure.

15. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I replied back to zoom and told them that it didn't work and that I just need the inf files and so forth. They won't give them up. They said that the setup does work. Anyways, I have a program to check out what's in the data.cab file. That is where the drivers are, but extracting is another story.

Just going to work on it for a bit cuz it bugs me.

I am not getting the response from zoom that I want. It's because the person responding just doesn't know anything about it except where to get the installshield file.
    They shouldn't even be working there.

so maybe get a new modem but keep the zoom around. I'll perform some magic if i can.

the cabs were mad by Pkware data comression library 1.03
    good luck

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice