1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External monitor for laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brianmaysguitar, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brianmaysguitar

brianmaysguitar Thread Starter

Hello,

A recent tragedy has left the display on my laptop inop. only approximately 1/10th of the display in the top left corner remains. I have an old Dell flat panel monitor that I wanted to hook up to have at least some functionality while I pursued a new computer or a replacement monitor. (feel free to comment on this as well).

When I hooked up the monitor, it worked as I had hoped. I saw my entire desktop on the external monitor. The only issue was the resolution was different making everything appear too large for the screen. I adjusted the resolution, and next thing I know, the only option is to "stretch monitor across both screens". This leaves the toolbar and all icons on the screen that does not work. All I have been able to do is to drag the toolbar to the external monitor and just restore/move any windows that open to that monitor. This is very cumbersome and too much for my wife to deal with.

I have a feeling that adjusting the resolution is what started my trouble. Please remember when giving advice that my primary monitor has only about 10% usable space, this makes accessing many tools difficult.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions,

Scott

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1505 running xp media center. The video card is a radeon 256 and I think it is integrated, but I don't know the complete specs. Can get them from Dell if needed.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you use the ATI Catalyst Control you should be able to close the display to the external monitor.

Or Press FN and one of the F# keys on the keyboard and it should also enable the secondary monitor as an identical clone to the LCD panel.

3. brianmaysguitar

brianmaysguitar Thread Starter

Triple6, thanks for your reply and you were right on the money. I got home yesterday morning and played around with my resolution settings. Got everything sized way too big to where I couldn't use the small amount of screen that I had. I also set the external monitor to not display anything. Sat there dejected for a second, then noticed the LCD/CRT label on the F8 key. Sure enough, toggling through this blacks out the dead monitor and replicates my desktop on the external monitor.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad to be of help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice