1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Monitor Help

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by brycemonroec, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

Advertisement
  1. brycemonroec

brycemonroec Thread Starter

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but..i have a Sanyo 30' TV i want to use as an external. my toshiba windows 7 does not acknowledge its plugged in. my Toshiba windows 10 shows "sanyo" plugged in under display settings, but that's it ,no picture. alos HP running Mint does not acknowledge its plugged in. im using a DVI to HDMI cord. on my old toshiba windows 7 it has the DVI output plug, so ive also tried running DVI=HDMI and HDMI =DVI. i havnt ripped my entertainment center apart to get the HDMI cord to try that , i figure its not that. the rear of the TV has the DVI port. so, anybody got any suggestions or input? Google didnt help me much.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

Check the TV User Manual for supported resolutions. TV's which have a VGA or DVI "PC" input, often only support a very specific resolutions.

Is the TV shown in the Display section (right click on the desktop and select "Screen Resolution")? If so, you need to configure how the screen is used before it will display.

Aside from that, the first thing that comes to mind whenever someone uses an adapter or conversion cable is the adapter or cable.

3. brycemonroec

brycemonroec Thread Starter

cant i cycle through different resolutions in settings on the computer ? no user manual, but i guess i could find one online. ive stuck it in 3 different computer 3 different operating systems. would comes to mind for you then, the wire? doesn't the type of wire your using have something to do with what format/resolution is supported? this wire is a DVI to HDMI. my experience in the past has only been with a VGA to DVI

4. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

You can "cycle through them", but you likely need to reboot each time it's changed to see if the TV will sync.

If it's not working on three different computers, then it's the cable or the TV (back to my first reply).

DVI to HDMI infers DVI output from the computer to an HDMI input on the TV. Is that correct?

Assuming that is wrong (ie: it's actually HDMI to DVI), then it's likely an old TV. My rear display TV has DVI input and only supports 480i/480P/1080i. Nothing else will sync and display an image.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194556