1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External monitor issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonocats, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonocats

tonocats Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba laptop that has a broken LCD screen. I've been hooking it up to an external monitor to use it but I've encountered problems doing so. Every time I start the computer, I have to F8 and choose "Enable VGA monitor" in order for it to come up and stay on the external monitor. If I don't do that, it comes up only momentarily on the external monitor and then the signal is lost and I get a black screen. Once the external monitor is up, the display is in low resolution and if I attempt to change the settings, the external monitor goes off and then will not come back on. This is a problem because I can only see a 2 inch strip on the left side of the laptop screen which leaves me unable to shut down properly. I have tried both settings on the laptop for external display only or simultaneous displays and it doesn't make any difference. I have tried to extend the laptop display to a second monitor by setting the properties to dual view which doesn't work either. There is an option on the laptop's graphics card settings to "clone" the display to a second monitor but that will not work either. I have 5 different monitors I have tried using with this laptop but they all do the same thing. I know my monitors are capable of a much higher resolution than what they are showing. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P25 S507 and is a 17" widescreen. Any ideas on what's going on would be welcomed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/388167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice