1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Monitor not working suddenly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sbarg, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbarg

sbarg Thread Starter

Hi, first post!

I have an ASUS VW246H, 24 inch external monitor connected to my two laptops, one via HDMI, and another via DVI (viewing one at a time ofcourse).
    My new laptop (Dell xps 17) has had the dual display running smoothly until right now (it was running just few hours ago!) and now it doesn't work!!
    I plug in the HDMI cable, the monitor detects that something is plugged in, turns black for a sec, and then just displays "HDMI No Signal".

p.s. in the past hour I did boot into my second partition (Ubuntu, Linux) which doesn't have a dual monitor setup but I by accident left the HDMI plugged in. I 'think' I have done that several times before without anything going wrong. Dont know what happened this time!

p.s.s. I have tried to go in monitor settings on windows 7, look at the NVIDIA control panel and it cant find any external monitors. I have also tried toggling Fn + F1 which is the external display switch.

2. sbarg

sbarg Thread Starter

Ok that was odd.. I plugged the laptop into a different HDMI cable, going into my tv, and it worked.
    Then I brought it back to my monitor and tried to plug it into the HDMI cable, and it worked!!!!

odd..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice