1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Monitor On Laptop has no signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by huntrguy102, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. huntrguy102

huntrguy102 Thread Starter

HI everyone,

So I have a Lenovo Ideapad y550, and I am using windows 7 home premium. I have an Acer lcd external monitor that I want to run. I bought a DVI to VGA adapter to connect my monitor to my laptop. So whenever I plug it in my laptop to recognizes in completely, but the external monitor is still blank. It has a blank screen and the power light is a solid amber color. I tried updating the drivers, but seeing as I just got my laptop a couple of weeks ago, there are no new drivers for video/monitor display. I tried seeing if my connection was loose. It was not. the connection is fine. I have hit Fn + F3 which sets it up for extended use. I know it is working but my external monitors screen is blank. Any suggestions please? Thanks.

2. TekTime

TekTime

Hi There!

Check the resolution of your laptop, compared to the supported highest resolution of the monitor, perhaps you need to adjust the resolution of the laptop if it is set to a resolution that the monitor doesn't support or vice versa.
    ---

If that doesn't help...Do you have another monitor that you can swap to rule out the culprit as the monitor itself?

Or...Do you have a VGA cord that you can connect to the monitor to see if you get a signal?

3. huntrguy102

Thanks for your quick response, but unfortunately I tried all of those things just now, and nothing happened. I tried it in a different LCD monitor. then i tried it with a CRT monitor with VGA. And I also tried changing the resolutions on all three of the monitors. What else can i try to fix this. Thanks.

4. TekTime

TekTime

Do you have the same problem when running in "Safe Mode"?

5. huntrguy102

When I run it in safe mode, the monitor is not even recognized. Plus I tried to manually detect the monitor, but nothing happened.

6. TekTime

TekTime

So, none of the external monitors are working when connected to your laptop?
    ----
    Did you go into the display properties for your video adapter, to verify the correct settings needed
    to use your external monitors?

7. Je55y

Je55y

definetely go to display properties and make sure you you have set desktop to extend...sometimes the hotkeys aren't enough. also, try setting it up so you use ONLY the external display and see if u get signal

8. huntrguy102

Yes I have gone to the display properties and made sure they are correct. And still nothing.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice