External Monitor Screen Flickering

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jore33

I have been having an issue with my external monitor (Acer R240HY) for some time where it flickers to a black screen. The duration and frequency of the flicker vary each time.

I have plugged my Laptop (HP EliteBook running Windows 10) into another monitor and the problem does not occur. I plugged the monitor into another laptop and the problem does not occur. I switched from a DVI to an HDMI cord and still, the flickering persists.

I have tried changing the refresh rate and even uninstalled my antivirus.

For reference, my drivers are up to date for my graphics and for the monitor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I am losing my mind over this.

Edit: For additional info, the problem is worse when I am working on my laptop as opposed to it just being idle.

Last edited:

plodr

Liz
Get rid of the monitor that turns to a black screen. It either needs a new capacitor or resistor. I had a Samsung that did that. The screen will start turning black sooner and you'll find you have to wait days to attempt to use it again for a short period of time.
No one repairs monitors. I tried lots of places. I finally gave up and e-cycled the thing. If you have good soldering skills (I don't) then you might be able to fix it.

jore33

Get rid of the monitor that turns to a black screen. It either needs a new capacitor or resistor. I had a Samsung that did that. The screen will start turning black sooner and you'll find you have to wait days to attempt to use it again for a short period of time.
No one repairs monitors. I tried lots of places. I finally gave up and e-cycled the thing. If you have good soldering skills (I don't) then you might be able to fix it.
You think that is the case, even though it only does it with my laptop and no other computer?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you have eliminated the monitor and the leads the only thing left is the laptop. Could be a poor connection on it's video port or a graphics chip or other motherboard fault.

jore33

If you have eliminated the monitor and the leads the only thing left is the laptop. Could be a poor connection on it's video port or a graphics chip or other motherboard fault.
When I plug my laptop into another monitor it does not flicker. The problem only occurs with my laptop and this specific monitor.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tested the leads on a different laptop and monitor ? That's all I can think off.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online