1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Plug and Play Corrupt and won't load?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Freemorrison, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Freemorrison

Freemorrison Thread Starter

Is there any way to recover the files?
    Some valuable pictures I would like to get back.
    It started hiccupping - then I bumped the Seagate 500GB with my foot and now it won't load - just hiccupps?
    What would CSI charge to open that shoddy piece of bleep up and recover those files form me?
    Bleeping Seagate! Didn't even last a year!
    I have a new "Lacie" TB external on the way - and would love to bring those pics and music back to there new home -
    any one know of any secrets - trying the freezer in the zip lock bag trick now.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it has been "knocked", it may be all over. They won't take much of an impact. The CSI guys will charge upwards of $1000 for a ballpark.

Here's some hope, but it may be offered in vain:

Free recovery applications:

Dr. Freeware Boot CD (also has partition tool, drive cloner and imager)
    DiskDigger & NTFSWalker
    Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
    Smart Data Recovery
    Recover Files
    Roadkil's Undelete
    Recuva
    Restoration
    Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    Softperfect File Recovery
    ADRC Data Recovery Tools
    Undelete Plus
    Data Recovery
    PCI File Recovery
    DriveRescue
    Ultimate Data Recovery
    Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
    Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
    GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
    Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
    File Scavenger
    Recover My Files
    RecoverPlus Pro
    Zero Assumption Recovery
    [email protected] File Recovery
    Final Recovery
    Recover4All Professional
    Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
    NTFS Recovery

3. Freemorrison

Sweet Fancy Moses what a great list - Thank you very much Elavndil - I ran several of them - the "Drive Rescue" would work great if I could just get it to load something - it just hiccups.
    Spin - hiccup - spin - hiccup - bout ready to get my tiny screwdriver set out and open her up and have a looky see?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. Freemorrison

OMG - This site has the answer - and describes exactly what happened when it fell 4 inches to the carpet.
    http://repair4harddisk.org/disassembly_hard_drive.html
    Thanks again Elvandil - I'm going to give those secret tips a go tomorrow with a fresh start - ( make take awhile - but I'll report back)
    There are several free recovery options open for me now and I'm in for a learning experience - you are greatly appreciated.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're an optimistic individual. I can say that for you. None of the options are great at this point, but good luck. :D

If you succeed, I've got a 500 GB you can work on when you run out of things to do. I kept it even though it is little more than a paperweight now. WD would not replace it because I took it out of its My Book case. And it's filled with my lost data. So, I know what this feels like, and I now keep external drives surrounded so that they can't fall anywhere, and rarely take one out of the house. They are supposed to be "mobile", but they are so easily killed that as a backup device, they are better off left in one place. :D Electronic drives should be able to take a harder blow.

7. Freemorrison

LOL - that's true - especially for the Seagate models (as I've come to find out after doing some research)
    Tomorrow my new "Lacie" TB should arrive (they seem to have the highest reviews for the best price) - then I'm going to first try the "flipping it on it's underbelly and jump in the air - forcing gravity to release the arm that is stuck - causing the hiccup - skip sound" trick.
    As described in the the link you provided.
    If this works and it loads - I'll transfer the data to the new one - then make that shoddy Seagate a book shelf paperweight like your's.
    That link is brilliant - several people have even uploaded pics with there step by step suggestions.
    I don't know how you found it - ( I did a CSI hard target google search?) - but I am grateful - 'cause if the gravity trick does not work - there are several other steps that may include me getting the screwdriver and amp meter out.
    All is not lost yet - hang on to that paperweight Elvandil - LOL

8. Freemorrison

Well you were right Elvandil - I tried every trick there is in the last week - that bleeping shoddy Seagate is now a paperweight - I know wait patiently for the CSI team to get back to me on my request for recovering my files. LOL
    My neighbor is quite techy and he's gonna give it a look see - hardwire it - and attempt recovery.
    If I have to I will buy a matching model and attempt recovery that way I will , they have all the instructions and picture guides for these steps in the link you provided.
    Although I was not successful here - you are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your help - onto the next crisis.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you succeed at this, everyone here would be interested in all the details. Good luck. :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice