1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External SATA drive enclosures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KTBFFH, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KTBFFH

KTBFFH Thread Starter

I am considering using an external SATA drive for my system as a backup.
    Any pros or cons for going external that I should consider and for the enclosure any models/makes that would be good buys based on quality and reliability.
    Thanks

2. parasolution

parasolution

I use several external drives (all IDE) and only had 2 issues. It's very convenient and you can transfer files to other pcs very quickly.

My 2 issues were actually the same type of problem, HD failure. In both instances, the drives that failed had no internal fan, just passive cooling. My other drive has an internal fan and has been operational for 3 years without a hitch (24x7 even). Thus, my replacements have all been drives with fans.

You may want to consider NAS drives if you have a network at home. Make it even more convenient to transfer files.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you have an external SATA port on your computer? That's the first requirement if you want a straight connection to a SATA drive. :)

4. KTBFFH

KTBFFH Thread Starter

Parasolution
    So cooling is an important consideration for the external drives (selecting an enclosure with a built in fan over non fan would be recommended?).

John
    Yes I have esata on my mobo (P5W DH Del)

Thanks for the replies.

Note I did try a Vantec enclosure and it ran warm to say the least, also, I didn't feel confident in their method of trying to prevent the internal sata power and data cables from breaking by using a putty like substance where the cables connected to the internal board. Very brittle (when I was installing the drive the putty stuff cracked on the data cable). So I returned it. Now seeking more experienced advice before I buy this time.

5. parasolution

parasolution

Personally, I do feel cooling is very important. Look at it this way, the drives in our PC are cooled with fans.....so an external drive should also be cooled. My 2 drives that failed (within 1 year) were without fans, yet another drive with a fan has been operating 24x7 for 3 years. All three drives were the same make (just different enclosures).

Funny you mention Vantec. I have an external enclosure that works intermitantly. It has the exact problem you described. Poor power connections. Vantec does make a great hot swap case. If you have a free 5.25" bay, you may want to consider their MRK-200ST-BK case.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I learned a long time back that metal cases cool their contents many times better than plastic ones--so much better that fans aren't usually needed if the enclosure is placed where it can get air all around.

I'll never own another plastic case for this reason.

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Agreed

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/506971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice