1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Speakers

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by crsaj, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

I have a Sony XBR TV that I would like to connect two 250 watt external acoustic speakers. Does anyone know if I can safely do this or am I taking a chance of blowing the TV amplifier? I have no external amplifier to pass through. Thanks for any ideas on this subject.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

if they have rca plugs, no

3. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

The speakers have no plug connections just two wire speaker wire clip on connections. Is this the same as rca connections but without the plug?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

From what I can see in Google, the XBR has no external speaker connections (only line-level).

The internal amplifiers are 15 Watts per channel, so you would have to open it up, disconnect the internal speakers, wire in the external speakers - and then you will still only get the 15 Watts per channel.

You would also need to check the impedance of the speakers, unless they are the same as those in the TV you will overlaod the internal amp (if the external speakers are lower in impedance) or you will get less sound (if they are higher).

Either way you will not get more sound than the internal amp can deliver. 15 Watts.

5. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

From what your saying it doesn't sound like a good idea for me to try to hook up two 250 watt speakers to my XBR TV. If I can't use them for my tv will probably try to sell them on EBay. Any idea what price range I should set. Don't know much about them since someone gave them to my daughters about 5 years ago.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice