1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External USB 3 HDD spoil

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OgaW77!, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OgaW77!

OgaW77! Thread Starter

HI,

Just need to know the lifespan of external harddisk? Will data last forever in the external harddisk? Will external harddisk spoil? Pls advise............

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    All Hard drives will eventually fail. Some sooner than others. External Hard drives will tend to fail sooner than internal hard drives due to handling, and the unexpected drop or physical damage. Also some external drives are better than others. The data, (barring mistakes such as accidental deletion or formatting the wrong drive) will last as long as the drive itself lasts. I do not use external drives any more. Had too many fail with no warning. I use Standard internal drives with hot swappable bays in my desktop computers. I back up my laptops over my network to a drive in my Hot swap bay on my main computer.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

External hard drives last just as long as internal hard drives if cared for. Because they are portable, the major cause of lost data is getting bumped hard or dropped. If they are not treated roughly, and if stored, they are kept free from moisture, there is no reason that the data on them should not last as long as the owner.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice