1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External USB Drive on Win98SE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfworx, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I have two USB external drives and a USB "Jump Drive" that I have been using for backup of data on my WinXP machines. I often take take them with me when I travel to use on friends machines or for business.

The problem is getting them to work with machines running Win 98SE (yes, some folks are still using that OS.) I cannot seem to find a driver that will work. I remember using USB devices on Win98SE in the past, but now they are just not recognized on some systems. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks, John. That driver worked for one of my USB external drives, but not my jump drive. I have not tried others as yet.

4. JohnWill

If these are Lexar Jump Drives, they have drivers on their site.

5. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

OK. Back again. Still having a problem getting external drives to work on Win98SE machines. I've tried six or more drivers - specified for External USB drives on Win98 machines - on three separate machines (two of a client and one of my own). I've rebooted with the drive connected and I've plugged in to running machines. Sometimes I get an acknowledgement of a new device and sometimes not. When I go through the "Add neww Hardware" procedure, I always receive the message that it cannot find any useful information on the specified .inf file.

So... I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong and would love to hear from anyone who has successfully connected an external USB drive to a Win98SE machine.

6. JohnWill

What is the specific make and model of external FLASH drive?

7. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Drives, actually. One is a WD80 0JB-00JJA0 in a "Smart Drive" USB case. Another is a Maxtor 91741U4 w/ USB external drive cable (no case). another is DTNA-22160 E182115 HG 2.5" drive in an HD 260 case. All three work properly on my WinXp machines.

8. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Also. am having the same problem with a Lexar 64MB Jump drive and Memorex 512MB flash drive. Regards them about the same as if I stuck a tongue depressor in the USB slot.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know I have had that problem more times then I care to remember. For small jobs I have started using Iomega Zip drive again, as the drivers are native to most Windows.

10. JohnWill

Well, the Lexar Jump Drive should be easy, they have drivers on their site. I suspect Memorex does too.

For the drives, you need to download the drivers from the makers of the USB enclosure, I have a ton of those CD's in my drawer for all the external cases I've purchased.

W98 was lacking in this area, what can I say. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice