1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External USB drive problems on XP SP2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by itm, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itm

itm Thread Starter

I have an IDE drive housed in an external USB enclosure. When I connect it to my XP Pro (SP2) desktop it is recognised, and I can browse the folders and files. However when I try to copy a large number of files from the drive to a local hard drive on the desktop I get a "resource no longer available" error, and the external drive is no longer visible to the PC. I can then disconnect and reconnect the drive but only get back into the same loop.

The desktop is based on an ABit AB9 Pro motherboard, and I'm using the on-board USB.

I've found this sort of problem with a couple of different external USB drive enclosures, and a couple of different XP machines in the past - i.e. the drive "disappearing" after a period of time - but they usually stay on-line longer than a couple of minutes.

Does anyone recognise these symptoms? If so, is there a solution?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Does the same thing happen when you move file from your PC to the external drive?

3. itm

itm Thread Starter

I haven't tried that on this particular machine, but when I tried to copy large volumes of data onto it from one of my other XP machines I would often get "delayed write failure" errors.

I actually have about 4-5 external USB enclosures (from different manufacturers), and a variety of IDE and SATA drives which I've used with them, and pretty much all of them seem flakey - i.e. if I attempt any large-scale file copy operations XP seems to lose access to them after a while (sometimes a couple of minutes, sometimes longer). The only external enclosure that hasn't given me any trouble so far is a 4-bay firewire enclosure which I've had connected for a couple of years.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Sounds like the way the data is transferred.....and as fire wire is fast....so the other Enclosures are they USB 2.0 connections

5. itm

itm Thread Starter

Yes the others are all USB 2.0 connections.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

I have an external HDD Usb 2.0 and don't have any problems transferring either way.....

What else is plugged into the other USBs on the PCs?

7. itm

itm Thread Starter

On the main machine the only other USB device is a laser printer (Epson CX11NF). On the other machine that I was talking about there's a webcam and also a USB TV tuner.

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Could be the power supply needs to be higher

9. itm

itm Thread Starter

Do you mean the power supply for the external drive or the PC? Since both the external drive and the Epson printer are independently-powered this puzzles me???

10. bonk

bonk Banned

The Power supply in the PC....but not likely....just thinking out loud.....

11. itm

itm Thread Starter

An unexpected outcome - I tried connecting the drive to one of the USB ports at the back of the computer (it was previously connected to a front-panel connector) and the problem went away!

Both sets of ports are connected to motherboard headers (albeit different headers), so it seems that not all USB ports are created equal.

:confused:

12. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes that is true the ones at the front are basic I believe ...but you can change them round using the jumpers on the board.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For some cases, and for reasons that I've never been able to comprehend, the front USB connections can be problematic. I have a number of computers with front USB ports, and all of them work just fine. However, I've seen this issue here enough to know that's not a 100% certainty. :)

14. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It could be the USB ports in the front of the computer are not powered ports and the ones in the back are powered ports. I have a digital camera that when you use the usb cable to download the pictures the USB cable has to be inserted into powered ports or it does not work Might be the same with this hard drive enclosure.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless it's a very odd MB, all the ports have the same 0.5A at 5V power. I have a bunch of systems that I use the MB front USB connectors, and they've never failed to function properly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice