External USB drives disappearing in DELL Laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nipstech

Starting a new post to avoid confusion...

I'm having a strange problem with external USB drives. I'm using two Seagate 9120821A 500 GB internal ATA drives mounted in Rocketfish external drive enclosures via a Belkin 7 port USB hub and one Seagate 9120821A 500 GB internal ATA drives also mounted in a Rocketfish external drive enclosure connected directly to a USB port on the computer. Virtually every time I boot the computer at least one of the drives fail to mount. Sometimes the light on the enclosure fails to illuminate, sometimes it stays illuminated and sometimes the light slowly flashes off and on.

Also, I replaced the USB hub and one of the suspect drive enclosures. Same results.

The machine is a DELL Latitude D600, 2GB RAM running XP Pro SP2.

Very strange...

Have you tried booting with the drives turned off.
Are all the drives and the hub powered?

nipstech

Yes. I tried booting with the drives turned both off and on. The drives and hub are powered. I also reflashed the BIOS and ran the DELL diags, QA+ Win 32 and four different virus/spyware scanners. Everything checked out OK.

I could reinstall the O/S from scratch, but would like to avoid that since I'd probably spend about two weeks getting all my apps reinstalled.

This could get ugly...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online