1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External USB Drive's size Shrunk after formatting..?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maxirb, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxirb

maxirb Thread Starter

Hiya, i just bought an External Seagate 80GB HDD with USB 2.0 Connection. It comes in ready to use condition (preformated with NTFS file system). In the attempt of making this drive bootable, i tried to use the HP Drive Key Boot Utility to reformat it again, but to my surprise, after its formated the drive size shrunk into 2 GB only...??!! I have tried to reformat it again using my win 2K utility but always ended up the same. Is there anyway to get the original capacity back...? Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You formatted it to FAT, which has a maximum size of 2gig partitions.

Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc

In disk Management, remove all the partitions and partition it correctly and format it there.

3. maxirb

maxirb Thread Starter

i am pretty sure when i did that, i have chosen the NTFS option,...that thingy you mentioned "diskmgmt.msc", tried that, when i hit enter, i have the IO error message and my laptop re-boot, and i have other shocking error message "non system disc error". Bloody hell, lol, it took me 15 minutes to reformat my primary HD, reinstall Win2K and reply to your message, and now i am too afraid to try that diskmgmt.msc again,..lol, well not tonight tho.

Meanwhile, any other suggestion? Ta

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Right click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. It's the GUI way to access Disk Management. There is no reason the other shouldn't work, and I've done it tons of times on a variety of systems.

BTW, I'm impressed you can install Windows in 15 minutes! :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice