External USB hard drive disconnects in Windows 10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

roster

I have a new Dell Inspiron 15 3565 laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. I have an external 4TB Seagate Backup Plus Expansion Drive SRD00F2 USB-3 hard drive with its own power supply attached to one of the three USB ports. From the time I first got the computer (recently) the USB drive is initially recognized by Windows 10, but after a variable time (several hours) the drive disappears from This PC. If I disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it, the drive reappears. The drive does not reappear unless I disconnect it or reboot. The problem occurs on all three USB ports on the the computer (two USB-3 and one USB-2). The OS (C) drive never disappears from This PC - fortunately!

The problem *never* occurs when the external USB drive is connected to my Windows 7 desktop computer, and "chkdsk D: /f" and the Dell USB test return no errors - so the problem is not the external drive or the cable. I use a Microsoft USB IntelliMouse, which never disconnects. In the Power Settings for Plugged In, USB Selective Suspend is disabled, and Turn Off Hard Disc is disabled (the USB drive disappears even when the computer is plugged in). I installed the latest version of USB Safely Remove, which gave the attached report on the external USB drive when it was not visible in This PC.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me stop the USB dive from disappearing. Thank you.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD A6-9200 RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 112 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 7628 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 105 GB (60 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., Inspiron 15-3565
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Attachments

Last edited:

roster

Dear SpywareDr, Thank you very much for helping. Unfortunately, SeagateDriveSettings.exe does not run under Windows 10 - even in Compatibility mode (and/or as an Administrator). I asked Seagate for help, but they just they suggested I contact Microsoft. I have also tried running KeepAliveHD (which writes a small text file to the Seagate drive every 8 minutes) - but the drive still disconnects.

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
I would try going to command prompt and entering this command
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If it is bad system files causing the problem, this may fix it.

Dear SpywareDr, Thank you very much for helping.
No problem.

Unfortunately, SeagateDriveSettings.exe does not run under Windows 10 - even in Compatibility mode (and/or as an Administrator). I asked Seagate for help, but they just they suggested I contact Microsoft.
:confused: If Seagate wants to sell products to all those potential customers running Windows 10, then it's up to Seagate to create compatible products.

roster

Paul23, thanks for your suggestion. Running Dism seemed to have worked, but then the drive disconnected again just now.

The time to disconnection is very variable, but is often 12-24 hours - hence the long delays between my posts.

I agree with SpywareDr that the response from Seagate is grossly inadequate.

Does anyone have any other suggestions about how to stop my external USB hard drive from disconnecting in Windows 10?

roster

Thanks, but as I said in my second post, "I have also tried running KeepAliveHD (which writes a small text file to the Seagate drive every 8 minutes) - but the drive still disconnects."

Oops, sorry. Must have missed that.

Other than get a drive that is intended to run 24/7/365, I'm fresh out of ideas.

roster

I have not been able to get the Seagate drive to work in Windows 10. It is shameful that Seagate do not update their software for a major Windows upgrade (from 7 to 10).

I gave in a bought a Western Digital (not Seagate) portable USB drive certified for Windows 10. It has been running perfectly for several days.

Thank you SpywareDr very much for your advice - much appreciated.

You're more than welcome roster. Great to hear you found a solution that's working well for you. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online