1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External USB Hard Drive Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harley-angel, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harley-angel

harley-angel Thread Starter

I have a brand new just out of the box Dell Inspiron 2200 running XP SP2. I just got it yesterday but have done all the windows updates and virus updates. The problem is my Maxtor external hard drive is being recognized!!! I get the message saying USB device is not recognixed, One of the USB devices one this computer is malfunctioning, windows does not recognize the device. I know it is NOT the hard drive as it works fine on 4 other machines all running XP SP 2. I can not understand this!! :( I have called Dell but they have NO idea what is causing the problem and act as they don't believe my drive even works!! By the way it has an external power supply and the USB cable that connects it to the computer. I would really really appreciate any help you can give me!!!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Follow the instructions exactly.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

3. harley-angel

I did exactly as you said but to no avail!!! I am totally lost! Anyone have any other suggestions???

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did any CD's come with the external? Some require some USB to ATAPI drivers be installed.

5. harley-angel

All that came with it was a quick start quide, electrical wire and usb cable. It is so strange as this hard drive works on everthing else I own and even 2 of my neighbors puters......just checked!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried other ports (front/back)? Is it USB2? If you have any other USB devices, try it with everything else removed.

Check BIOS settings, too, and try plugging it in both before booting and after.

7. harley-angel

There are only 3 USB ports all along the back. I have tried using everyone of them before and after booting. I just can't win!

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you checked BIOS to be sure that USB is not disabled (though it shouldn't be on a new machine!)?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I have seen on a few recent occasions on Dell's where no USB device worked on any of the ports, giving thee exact same error message. In each case it was a defective Motherboard. Of course Dell wanted a complete reinstall from scratch before they would fix it.

Since you know the external hard drive works, to help determine if it is the USB ports, are there any other known working USB devices like a printer that you can test with.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you installed the MB drivers? Do any other USB devices work on the ports?

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Did I not word this very well. If not, what could I have done to make it better.

12. harley-angel

Sorry I wasn't back on to notice the posts after my last post but, Haleluya!!! I have found the answer to not just my problem but to other USB 2.0 related issues as well!!! It seems there is a problem with shielded USB 2.0 cables and some Intel USB 2.0 controllers, for sure the 82801's. Which are on my notebook. I actually ran across the solution by accident as I switched the USB cable from a shielded 2.0 cable to an unshielded 1.1 cable and the drive then was recognized by windows with NO problems. I just got off the phone with Maxtor and was told that the first person I talked with didn't know what they were talking about and that they are working on a fix for the problem as we spoke. I was advised to not use the 1.1 cable as it could and probably would cause file corruption and possibly damage the drive. Their suggestion was to obtain a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card and use that until a fix is found. Heck I just found one online for $17.19 and had it shipped. I have wasted that much on junk before. It seems as I was told other manufacturers are haveing the same thing going on and are also looking for a fix! The problems involve not only USB hard drives but some printers and camera's and other drives as well. So I hope this sheds light on this problem and can help others as well. Thank-you to those that have tried to help me with this!! I will let you know how the PCMCIA card works out. Keep your fingers crossed! Hehe.
    Patricia

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's very useful information. Thanks for following up.

Congratulations.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/370606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice