1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External usb HD does not show in win10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nichos, Oct 29, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Hi,

Just bought on line a small 2T external HD & as is not shown I cannot Format it.

Tried various programs like eases-us etc hoping they have something to make it show in w.explorer with no success.

It specifies formatting in Fat32. My 1T PC HD is in NTFS & so is my other 1T External one.

The local IT shop can format it at £43, twice the cost of the USB HD.

Is there a free program to make it show in W10? ……….thanx

PS. the usb disk shows in Cntrol panel's Device Manager & in "safely remove"

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post a screenshot of disk management with the drive connected.

3. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Thanx, here it is. All seem normal but it shows every where but the explorer where I can format it.

How else can it be formatted?

Attached Files:

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is not disk management. Here is what disk management looks like; to access disk management. Start>Run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter.

Attached Files:

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Provide a detailed description (brand name, model name, model number, etc.) of that external hard drive.
    Does it obtain its power from a USB port, or does it have a power adapter?

Make sure to reply to crjdriver

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Here it is, unbranded (new £20.00), no other markings anywhere.

People say must format it to see it, chicken & egg case.

Attached Files:

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your image is too close.
    I can't tell if that external hard drive has only a USB port connector, or if it also has a power adapter.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, you do not need to format in order to "See" the drive. Disk management will see a blank drive. In order to help you, you really need to post the requested info.

9. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

sorry forgot to say the one cable provides provides power too., now Pwer adaptor needed.

10. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

What requested info is missing, I answered every one.

I did right click on the ext.usb drive & found no Format option.

Attached Files:

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, you did not. You need to post a pic of disk management. You posted device manager. See post #4.

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What specifies formatting in FAT32? That is a bad idea. FAT32 limits the size of files that can be transferred and stored on the device.

I own 7 portable external USB connected hard drives ranging in size from 500 GB to 2 TB. ALL are formatted NTFS.

Where online did you purchase this drive? I'd like to read the description. At £22 for a 2TB drive, (roughly $27 US) it seems too low a price. "Too good to be true".
    I just looked at Amazon and for under $25 US, I get enclosures for hard drives or a 500 GB no-name hd but not 2TB external hard drives.
    Was this drive used?

13. britekguy

britekguy

You did post an image of disk management, and your drive definitely does show in that image as uninitialized and is designated as Disk 1, Unknown, 2048 GB in said image.

If you right click on that drive in disk management you should be able initialize it, after which time it will show up as a drive in File Explorer.

See this MS Help page for step-by-step instructions: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/initialize-new-disks

After the disk is initialized you can then format it. I would definitely use the NTFS file system, not FAT32 (unless you are going to be using the drive on a Mac as well, in which case then I would consider going with FAT32).

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

He posted disk management after being told to a second time. The first time he posted was of device mgr. The drive is simply unallocated. All that needs to be done is to create a partition; then format.
    I do wonder about a 2TB drive for the price he paid....

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm still learning daily. Why when I plug in any of my 7 external USB drives, I did not have to format? I simply started using them.
    They all came formatted NTFS.

I question who told him to format a 2TB drive as FAT32. That doesn't seem like a wise decision.
    The only external drive that came formatted as FAT32 is a very old, very large in physical size, 80MB Western Digital hard drive. This is my #8 external but I rarely mention it because it is so old. It retains copies of everything I had on floppies. Then I wiped and tossed the floppies.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice