1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External USB HD not showing up with a drive letter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jadesign, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jadesign

jadesign Thread Starter

I have XPpro w/sp2 and have been using this external 200gb drive for about 2 years and I also hook up a 5/in/1 card reader to the front USB. Just the other day I went to use the external 200gb drive and it was not there. I checked Disk Managment and it shows up as (Disk 1) Basic 189.90GB online BUT no letter for the drive. It says it is "Unallocated". I tryed it on 2 other machines and same thing. How can I get to the data on this disk?:confused:

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. jadesign

jadesign Thread Starter

Darn! Hope that I didn't have to do that - data recovery software how does that work if computer dosen't give a drive letter?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unallocated means that there is corruption of the partition table at least. The data recovery software is going to be the way to go here...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/556072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice