1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External USB HDD Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neonboy, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neonboy

neonboy Thread Starter

Hi there im having a problem with getting an external Hard Disk Recognised through th USB Port the thing is that i have an Laptop hard disk "Toshiba" 20 Gb which i have kept in a case which hooks up the HDD to the pc through the USB but the PC when Windows (XP) promts me to do a driver search it finds nothing then i tried to check out the problem by looking at the Manage My Coputer >Device Manager at the other devices menu it shows the HDD as

"ATAPI-4 Bridge Controller"

and when i try to update the drivers it still cannot find it. To make it worse i have lost the driver CD with the casing and the caseing itself is so cheap that there is no copany name written on it either.
    The Casing has two ports the USB & an adapter port (which i dnt use).
    Plese Help !!!!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In some cases a device will not install because the path to the device drivers is not present in the registry.

When that happens, the process does not complete automaticaly and the New Hardware wizard complains that it cannot find some driver. It will ask you to select or browse to a location.

If that happens, browse to the location c:\windows\INF which contains all the information (setup) files for these drivers. It should find what it needs there. If it doesn't you may be missing some usb inf files.

This is a hidden directory and to find it you must have "show hidden files" enabled in Folder Options > View.

Thanks to: Rollin' Rog

3. neonboy

neonboy Thread Starter

Thanx man i tried it out but heck it still cannot get the drivers anyways , i guess ill go get a good qality casing this time , what do you suggest ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice