1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External USB hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nj2b, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nj2b

nj2b Thread Starter

I've got an older PC with a 32 bit bios and a 160 gb IDE drive (130 gb useable) that I need to archive, and was considering adding a 350 to 500 GB usb drive as temporary storage; Does anyone know if the bios would impose the same 130gb limitation? My alternative is a bunch of DVD RWs, which I'm hoping to avoid. :) TIA

2. Hughv

Hughv

Where do you get the 130GB usable figure? Are there any partitions on this drive?
    Tell us about the hardware involved-mobo, PC make and model.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

BIOS does not interact with an external drive. The computer sees just the USB interface, so there is no size restriction.

4. nj2b

nj2b Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback

@Hughv it's a custom; MSI-6566E mboard with 4/??/2003 bios; Win2k SP4. The bios "sees" 160, but the OS (fresh install) only recognized 127. I thought it 130. I read somewhere that using a larger drive with the 32 bit bios could lead to data corruption, so I didn't bother with the lost *30 gb*.

@Elvandil thanks for the information; I appreciate it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice