1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External USB Microphone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phrozen, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phrozen

Phrozen Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I'm new here, so I am hoping someone out there can give me some advice on this! Today I picked up a regular desktop microphone for my computer (one that uses the 1/8th jack) and was testing it out. Suffice to say, after an hour or so of fiddling with the volume options for the microphone and different positioning of the mic. I am not that happy with the quality of recording I am getting out of it. I have decided I am going to return this one, but was thinking about getting a USB instead. I know I have been told the recording quality is much superior on a USB microphone vs. the one I have now. My question being, will my computer recognize this as a microphone/line in as any other 1/8th style mic. would be recognized? For the purposes I need a microphone for (a Skype conversation being broadcasted live over a JetCast server on winamp) I need this microphone to be recognized much like any regular 1/8th mic. would be. I looked into the headsets, but I am unsure if those would be recognized as a microphone/line in, therefore defeating the purpose of what I need it for. Hopefully this makes sense to someone out there, and that someone can give me some hardware advice on this. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out! -Phrozen

My specs: Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, Windows XP Home, basic audio hookups to the side (one for speakers, one for the mic), Sigmatel Audio.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

When you plug a USB headset/mic into a computer it forms its own subsystem audio. So for instance if you were using Realtek audio before, the USB's brandname audio would take over and you get a mic in setting for the USB microphone seperate from the other audio subsystem.

Sometimes Skype will be looking for the wrong mic in or something dumb like that but it will work just fine with Skype once it all configured correctly.

One drawback is (at least on my system) that the other audio subsystem is not usable while the USB subsystem is active and each time you move from one to the other there are some settings that may need to be reset each time in order to enable them again.

3. Phrozen

Phrozen Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply fairnooks!

So essentially you are saying once plugged in, the USB mic forms its own set of audio controls etc. Will this be accessible to me under the windows sounds settings in control panel (I.E. Change the windows defaults to that microphone so it is ready to use when I need it)? About skype, there is an option (the drop down box) to choose which device will be used as the microphone, will the new USB microphone and its new subsystem of audio show up here as an option? I am assuming it will correct?

Under my JetCast options there are two drop down boxes; one for the soundcard list (where my sigmatel audio is listed, right now the only option there), and one for a device list (right now there is microphone and line in listed under here). When using a USB mic. will there be a new option under the soundcard list? Or will it just be as simple as selecting 'microphone' on this list, and all will work?

Sorry for the long reply, I am just wanting to be sure of my next purchase! Thanks again fairnooks! Hopefully you can help me out again! -Phrozen

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice