1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External USB2 mass Storage Drive Doesn't Want to show up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kapustin Yar, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

I have two drives, Win98se on C and Winxpsp3 on D. D is default boot. I also have a USB2 mass storage drive, 400gb hard drive. It is connected to my PC through a 5.25" USB enclosure.

I had some problems with my PC lately and have had my external drive had to be replaced. I kept the same enclosure. While this was going on this desktop pc was off and not being used. I have been using my laptop for the last couple of weeks. The original and the replacement were both 400gb Seagate IDE's. I think they're slightly different models. I reconnected my usb mass storage drive and now it doesn't want to show up.

Its configured properly as a Master. Before the drive was replaced everything was fine.

It is configures as a master properly. When I plug it in it shows up as seeing something but is unable to complete the install.

Is this something that will eventually fix itself or do I need a new USB enclosure or is something else wrong, like in the Device Manager or something? I can't connect it to my laptop either, same problem. It starts to recognize something but doesn't want to complete the install.

2. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    I've had this problem a few times. Usually, when you have a USB Mass Storage Device somewhere, you absolutely have to "Safely Remove Hardware" - because even Linux won't read a drive that hasn't been "Safely" removed from a Windows system. You should do this even if you're leaving it attached when shutting down.

Now, here's what I had to do...No guarantees, and it may take several times to get it to go properly from that point forward.

While the unfinished detection of the drive is listed in Device Manager...
    Uninstall any and all USB devices relating to it. Mine was "WDC WD15EADS-xxxxxx USB Device" This includes also anything relating to "USB Device" under the Disk Drives in the DM, as well as under "USB Serial Bus Controllers" USB Mass Storage Controller is another thing to look for.

Refresh the Device manager WHILE the drive is still connected. Uninstall them all over again, disconnect the drive, reboot, wait till Windows loads back up again, and reattach it.

After about 3 times doing that, it finally started working. That's how I got MINE to work. Hopefully someone else has a better battle plan, but this is what did it for me.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Pull the drive out of the enclosure and connect it as a slave in a desktop machine. If the drive works in the desktop machine, purchase a new enclosure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice