1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Externally Accessing A MySQL Database

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by TW.87, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TW.87

TW.87 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a website that uses a MySQL database, and I'd like to put the website on a CD so it can be distributed.

What I need to do, though, is to get the website to access the MySQL database (which is online), even though the website files are on a CD. Is this possible?

So, essentially, when the user opens the website from the CD, it will call on the MySQL database which is the only element on a server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Wouldn't you have to use a server side language to open the connections to the database?

3. TW.87

TW.87 Thread Starter

Yes, it uses PHP to connect to the database, so I suppose I am looking for an alternate method, or just another varying option, to get it working from an offline source.

4. Sequal7

Sequal7

you can use xampp lite to run off almost anything including cd's and usb thimbdrives, it has mysql, php and apache server built into it. Once the php script can run, the connection to the server would be IP based, keeping in mind the persons computer would need to have internet access of course to access the server.

5. TW.87

TW.87 Thread Starter

Thank you for your response.

I've downloaded XAMP Lite, but am fairly unfamiliar with its technology. I've also browsed their website to look for support information, but couldn't find something that would guide me through using it on a CD to support my offline-website. Would you be able to walk me through doing it as much as you can? Your help really is appreciated.

6. TW.87

TW.87 Thread Starter

Can anyone offer me some help on this, please?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/588949