1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extra advanced Windows XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dan kearns, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dan kearns

dan kearns Thread Starter

I have Windows XP and I installed all the software I wanted to. Then I setup my family with their own profile. I kept myself as Owner and the only one who can install new programs. I made the selection for my kids to be a limited user. Now they can't run some games unless I go to the shortcut preferences and enter in my password. It does not save my password information. Is there a way I can set the advanced preferences permanently. Also is there any way I can select the limited options for the user profiles. There must be a way to do this instead of just 2 options, Admin, and Limited.
    Thanks
    Dan

2. xSoilworkeRx

xSoilworkeRx

There is a way, I only know of one way.

Go to the shortcut in question, right click, and go to properties. Click the Security tab. Under this tab, click the Advanced button. Under the Permissions tab, it has permission entries. Make sure you have your child set under there. If they aren't there, go to Add and add them.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the security tab is only available for XP-Pro, so that might be an issue. :)

PSExec might be able to help, you can make a shortcut to a PSEXEC command to run the application under different credentials.

Here's a whole thread on the issue, it seems you're not the only one bugged by this problem. :) http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/11/29/271551.aspx

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I encountered the problem with Electronic Arts programs, and I actually flamed them a bit for it. The very idea that you have to be an administrator to run a frigging game is outrageous.

In any case, here is how I solved the problem. I don't know if this will work in XP Home, but it should (lifted from a post I made on Dec 31, 2002 on the Help with this Stupid Computer! board at The Motley Fool...paysite).

"Here is how I did it. I established a service called harrypotter using srvany.exe. This service was told to run with System privileges and is allowed to interact with the desktop. I then specified the path to the harry potter executable on the HD in the registry, as called out in the srvany documentation.

Then, using the MMC, I had to edit a security template to look like my current security settings, with the addition that the harrypotter service could be started and stopped by a User. I then applied the security template to my system.

The batch file that does the job is on the desktop and consists of two commands:

sc stop harrypotter
    sc start harrypotter

The "stop" is needed because of the possibility that the player will stop and restart the game over the course of one logon."

5. JohnWill

Man, that looks like WAY too much trouble to play a game! :D

6. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

yeah, well....

Kid bought the game with her own money. She was 8, the game wasn't cheap. She wants to play it. I have the choice of giving her administator access, not letting her play the game, or finding another way around.

Given that set of choices, it really was no choice at all.

Beyond that, the very idea that you have to be an administrator to do so many user-space things in Windows is total crap and speaks very poorly of the programmers of those products. I wanted a solution that would work in the general case, which this solution does.

7. JohnWill

This is a no-brainer for me, my kids always had their own computer, and I just kept a reasonably current backup to restore it when they trashed it. :D

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I forget the reason now, but we couldn't load this game on the box the kids usually use. I think this was before I upgraded it the last time.

So we loaded it on the XP laptop, which was and remains our only XP machine.

Even on the kids' machine, they don't have Admin privileges; I don't have a backup of it :) Besides, behind our firewall, our systems are pretty open. If I let them get their computer torn up, then whatever infests their machine can propagate across the lan. It is easier from every standpoint to leave the systems fairly loose while keeping their permissions to a level where they can't do much harm.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice