1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

extra NVidia driver in Device manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sharonnek, Nov 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharonnek

sharonnek Thread Starter

My computer, a Gateway I got new Feb 2001, came with an AGP NVidia card and Windows 98SE. I added two more monitors with no problems - each monitor was connected to a separate video card. The main monitor was connected to the NVidia, the second monitor to a Voodoo PCI card, and the third to a Trident PCI card. In June 2003 I upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional, at the finish of which my third monitor wouldn’t work because, as I learned later, the Trident card has no Windows 2000 drivers. When I disconnected the third monitor and removed the Trident card, however, my computer wouldn’t boot up; when I put the Trident card and third monitor back, the computer worked again. So I left it like that, with two monitors working, for several months while I shopped for another video card.

I did not notice until later that Device Driver listed “!Other Devices” with a mystery “!?PCI Device.” When I removed it and rebooted, it reappeared in Device Manager and the wizard to install new hardware would automatically start and install it, whatever it was. So I just left it there for a few months, since everything else on the computer seemed to work OK.

When I found a video card that was advertised to work in multiple-monitor setups (ATI Radeon 7000), I followed all the instructions to install it, but my computer wouldn’t finish the startup process when I tried to reboot. I tried all sorts of things in Safe Mode, finally uninstalled the Radeon card and its software, and also the Voodoo card and software and the second monitor, but the computer would still not reboot; the startup progress bar would always get stuck at the same place as before. I had not even one monitor working.

Someone in helping me discovered that there were no monitors listed in Device Manager, so he said maybe the mystery PCI device is my monitor. So I ran the add new hardware wizard and directed Windows to the NVidia driver that Windows listed (even though the NVidia card is an AGP card). That got my computer to reboot normally, with one monitor working again, but in Device Manager, there are two NVidia drivers listed, one with a !; I removed it, and shut down.

But it wouldn’t start up again. Got into Safe Mode; the mystery PCI device was back, and there was no Monitors listing. Again I ran the Add New Hardware Wizard and directed Windows to the NVidia driver. Restarted normally. Got latest update from NVidia website and installed it successfully. But the extra NVidia driver with ! is back also. Whenever I try to remove it, my computer won’t boot up normally, and I have to go into Safe Mode, where the mystery PCI device reappears, so I let Windows reinstall the NVidia driver all over again. Under the Monitors listing is Plug and Play Monitor. (When everything was working properly in Win98, each of my 3 monitors was listed by name.)

So something in my system wants to keep that old NVidia driver that originally came with my computer??

All I want to do at this point is remove that old driver without messing up my computer again. When I can get Device Manager to list only one NVidia display adapter, then I’ll start over in adding the other two monitors and cards.

In System Information, Components, Problem Devices there is this listing:
    Device: NVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64
    PNP Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2443&SUBSYS_0058107B&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&FB
    Error Code: 10

I've been puzzling and consulting over this problem for months. Your help will be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

2. sharonnek

sharonnek Thread Starter

I know it's been a year, but I just got it fixed last week. I went to a Microsoft-certified computer guy that just recently opened business locally. I had an unrelated problem for him, but I asked him to check out the extra video driver problem while he was at it. He fixed it, said it was probably something to do with my upgrading from 98 to 2000 - 2000 recognized something that 98 didn't. He did a chipset update (I think that's what he said). I don't know what else he did, but it's fixed now. No mystery device and no extra video driver in Device Manager.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/183489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice