1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extra "Z" drive to Temp Folder during RDP Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spencerw2, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencerw2

spencerw2 Thread Starter

New to the forums but I have no clue what is going on here... I am using Win 7 Pro x32. When I use RDP to connect to another computer, I noticed that on the remote computer (sometimes) as well as on my local machine (always), it creates a "Z:" drive. It isn't like a mapped network drive though, it shows under Hard Disk Drives. The free space is the same as the C: drive. When you open it, it is the %TEMP% folder on my machine. Going to the run command and typing %TEMP% will show you the same contents as the Z: drive. When I close the RD Connection, the Z drive goes away. I have no clue what is causing this and I did a little searching and couldn't find anything that resembled anything close to this online. I saw the same thing happen on a Win XP machine earlier as well. Anyone have any ideas...?

Thanks

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

There is probably a shared drive on that computer and it is mapped to itself. Ignore it. It will not cause any problems. I see that on servers a lot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice