1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extract logins/passwords from Norton PWM

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Zappattazz, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zappattazz

Zappattazz Thread Starter

I have been using Norton Password Manager for many years, originally as a stand-alone product. I've also been using Norton SystemWorks for many years, always updating the full package. With the recent revelation that Symantec had rootkit issues in their products, I've decided to let the annual license lapse.

The problem I have now is that Norton PWM won't run unless I "activate" the entire Systemworks product another yearly license.

Is there any way to extract the login/password list which PWM has created for the hundreds of sites I surf? If it could be exported/imported to another Password Manager program would be primo!!

Thanks for your assistance!

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I understand what you wish to do-
    The feature you mention only hid the protected Recycle Bin, but Symantec, in the interest of not losing customers, has issued a patch that gives end users the option to enable or disable the hidden stuff.
    It's really not anything dangerous, but Symantec found that a lot of users complain about antivirus or malware scanners that "see" the deleted files stored in Norton's Protected Bin, and users cannot "get" to them....so they assume the wrong things about Symantec,,,
    Not that I have not had my share of problems with Norton apps, they are little touchy but....

Here is what I found about the "rootkit" issue, and how Symantec has responded by giving users options:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/2006.01.10.html

I know this does not help you with extracting the passwords, but, at this forum, I do not think we can assist you to crack the Norton program, it's against TSG rules to do so, sorry.

I am closing this thread> however, if it turns out that it is OK to use a tool to import/export those things you wish to, the thread may be reopened...I just have to have the OK to do that, hope you bear with us!

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I would tend to agree. As we have no way of verifying the intentions of the poster......

We have to err on the side of caution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice