1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extract user data from harddrive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GeorgeJ, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GeorgeJ

GeorgeJ Thread Starter

Hope this is in the right forum - apologies if not.

A friend of mine had a problem with their computer - the harddrive couldn't be found by the bios. I think it was a fault on the motherboard, but he decided to get a new computer even if it wasn't.

I tested his harddrive as a slave on my computer and it worked fine. On my computer it shws as G: with 41GB used. I tried copying the contents of the drive over to my computer so i could delete the files not required, but it only copied 27GB. I'm guessing that's system files that can't be copied etc.

Is there a way of getting all the documents and files from G: that the user would have put on - so that the OS system files are ignored as well as any program files, but documents he created can be transferred along with files he downloaded? I have tried to look for a way of doing this but i don't think that searching under 'created by' will be good enough. For example, if he has downloaded mp3 files, these may get missed.

I'm hoping this is quite a common exercise by those more IT than me and an easy explanation is available.

Waiting with everything crossed.
    George

2. pip22

pip22

If the drive was healthy you would be able to transfer both user-data & system files from the drive, since the operating system is not currently running from that drive so no files on it are being used by your system. The only other requirement is one concerning access to the user account data folders - to overcome "access denied" you have to change the access permissions for them.

The hard drive can't truly be declared as "working fine" until you've tested it with diagnostic software such as Seagate SeaTools for Windows: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ (click "Downloads").

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065597