Solved Extracting last record for each entrant

ImaGrump

I use Access 2016 to extract (query) the available history lines for each entrant in the next contest. How do I extract only the last line for each entrant? I am doing a new project that does not require more of the history lines than only the last line.

Surely there is a word or phrase that is used (I would presume in the date column since they are aligned by date) to query only the latest or last entry. It's been so long that I cannot recall how to do this simple procedure. Any and all help and suggestions will be appreciated....greatly !

As always, if you need more info or data, I will provide whatever you ask for if I can.

THANKS

ImaGrump

This is what the tutorial has:
"This MSAccess tutorial explains how to use the Access Last function with syntax and examples.
The Microsoft Access Last function returns the last value from the result set of a query.

Parameters or Arguments

expression
The value that you'd like to return from the result set. The Last function only returns the last value in the result set."

Now, I read that as returning one last value, not one for each entrant. Which is correct?

Thank you for your very quick response.

ImaGrump

OK, let me do this so that there is a better understanding of what I am trying to accomplish. I have a database of all the thoroughbred races run in the US. When a track is ready to run another group of races (that I am interested in) I take that list of entrants and match it to my past history of races to find out what races (if any) that these horses have run. In other words, I get their past history.

For years I have been culling this data down to only the last 6 races run (if available).

I am starting a new project whereby I will only be using the last race of each horse (again, if available).

Doing this seems to be presenting some complications which I am trying to work around.

These 2 attachments are:
Sample 1 A list of Entrants
Sample 2 That list with their total past races and that same group's last race
These have been truncated to save space. There are 28 total columns that I use but we don't need to put them there to illustrate our point. Also going through #1 and starting #2 should be sufficient.

Again, if this is not enough. please let me know.

Again, THANKS !!

P.S.
Excel was the only way I could save this and make it useable.

Attachments

ImaGrump

While waiting for a response I did my usual hunt and peck, trial and error methodology and now have the solution as evidenced in the attachment.

I thank each and every one of you who looked at this and worked at solving it, or , at least, gave it some thought. I do appreciate that.

I still find it hard to believe that this cannot be done within Access. Surely I am not the only person who wants differing amounts of data, not always all that is available

Anyway, I have what I wanted so we'll mark it "SOLVED".

THANKS !!

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online