1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

extracting my music files

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lydia.c_xx, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lydia.c_xx

lydia.c_xx Thread Starter

this might not be much of a problem but just wondering if there's any suggestions to help me out...

i have over 3000 songs on my computer and want them all in one place, but when i used to have iTunes it put them all into individual folders by their artists... is there any quick way to extract all my music out of these folders and into one place? as opposed to dragging them out one at a time... :( :confused:

2. stantley

stantley

Here's one way you could do it. Get Karen's Directory Printer and create a list of all your music files. You would use the full path+filename and have it search sub-directories so it would go through all folders and subfolders.

You'd end up with a text file of all your filenames. Replace all C:\ with Copy C:\ which will leave you with a big file of copy statements. Change the extension of that file from .txt to .bat and you'll have a DOS batch file. Put that file in the sub-directory where you want the files to go and execute it. You could either use copy or you could also use move.

3. lydia.c_xx

alright, i think i underestimated how good i was with computers, that post didnt particularly help me much. are there any simpler possibilities?

4. stantley

stantley

Offhand I can't think of another way. It sounds more complicated than it actually is. Maybe get Karen's Directory Printer and see if you can create a list of all of your files. You might have to try a few times to get familiar with the program.

Once you have that, post back and I can step you through the rest of it.

5. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

I can't really help you here but thought I'd let you know that someone out here shares your grief. As much as I like iTunes, I hate the way it organizes and names files you rip with it. When I last reformatted my computer I made sure to turn off "keep iTunes folder organized" so I wouldn't end up with all those folders/sub folders again and I just keep my music in one directory and manually update iTunes when needed. I know its after the fact advice but keep that box unticked or you will end up with a lot of duplicate files when it tries to reorganize after you put everything in a single folder.

Good luck in finding a simple solution to moving them all ... I'm curious as to what it may be myself. I'd have just sat down with a pot of coffee and started dragging them to where I wanted them.

6. sekirt

sekirt

1) Create the folder you want to move them to. Leave it sitting on your desktop, so you can drag the songs to it.

2) Open up Search (or Find) and type in the named field:

*.mp3 (or whatever the extensions are). If you have multiple extensions, I'd say repeat the process individually for each extension. Although you can do them all at once.

3) Highlight all (click Edit and choose Select all) and drag them to the target folder

sekirt

7. lydia.c_xx

using the search doesn't appear to work, there are no search results?

8. lydia.c_xx

might be a bit of an odd question, but do i actually need to print out my list of files?

9. sekirt

sekirt

Be sure search is searching your entire C:\ drive and also subfolders.

sekirt

10. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you starting your search in the top level of your iTunes folder?

Do you have "Search subfolders" checked off under "More advanced options"?

Are you seraching for the correct filename extensions (mp3, m4a, m4p)?

11. stantley

stantley

I would go with sekirt's idea, much easier than my suggestion. I forgot you could move files from the search box.

12. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

sekirt gave you a pretty simple solution there, if you used itunes to rip the music along with *.mp3 also search for *.m4p (I think thats the extension used by the itunes music store) and *.aac (thats the extension that iTunes defaults to using when you import songs from a CD)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!