extraction failed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rainforest123

Windows XP Pro SP2
Fresh install from image; I followed the same procredure as I followed on 3 other computers with identical hardware. Image created a few days before Microsoft released updates Jan 2006.

I downloaded the most recent 3 critical Windows updates [ KB 890830, KB 908519, KB 912919 ], burned them to a CD, copied them to a CD, transferred files to local hard disk drives, then ran the update installations.

Problem began within an hour of drive imaging. Only internet access was to obtain updates for Symantec AV Corporate & Microsoft AntiSpam. No surfing / browsing / email.

Error Message: extraction failed. file is corrupt.
Same message occurs with any of the 3 updates.

I was able to copy the files to other PCs & run the updates, AFTER the problem occurred on PC in question, so I don't think the problem is a damaged / corrupt file on the CD.

I deleted the files from the hard disk drive of the PC in question & re-copied them. Same problem when I tried to run the files, again.

The installation program creates a temporary folder, but dletes the folder when I close the error message.

Nothing in event viewer.

I have emptied Windows\temp and user\local settings\temp.

I ran a complete chkdsk [ upon re-boot ]. No problems were reported.

Problem occurs in safe mode, as well.

Problem occurs if I run files directly from CD.

I was able to connect to the Microsoft update site & install the updates from there.

The PC has no other problems of which I am aware.

I haven't been able to find any useful advice searching the internet.

YOUR advice is eagerly awaited.

B123

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online