1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extreme Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by frawleysean1, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frawleysean1

frawleysean1 Thread Starter

Hello everyone.

I'm having a lot of trouble regarding my son's ASUS Aspire laptop. It's running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. My wife shut my son's laptop one night and put it away without turning it off first. When I gave it back to him, the battery had died and was showing the Disk Check screen. I ran the disc check process and it froze at 9% all night long. I shut it off and disregarding the disc check process, I tried to log on. After about 10 minutes of nothing but black, a blue screen appeared and it turned off the computer. I tried to log on again after that and got in successfully. The computer is now running very slowly, and will not connect to the Internet. I tried running Malwarebytes (the most recent update) and it would not open. I tried starting it in safe mode and that freezes when it reaches...

Loaded: \Windows\system32\DRIVERS\avgidsha.sys

Is there any way I can log into this computer and create a disc backup? I plan on restoring it to original factory settings after the backup.

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Instead of booting into safe mode, choose the last known good configuration option that is in the advanced boot menu screen with safe mode. If this doesn't work, you could also try system restore in the recovery options. You get there by pressing one of the f keys at boot.

(I realize your actual question was creating a disc backup instead of getting the computer working, but I don't do much of creating backups so I'm not great at that. Until someone else replies with a way of doing that, we can try and get the computer working)

CORRECTION: Last known good configuration should not solve your problem. This is because it will boot as the computer was the last time you successfully booted into the system. Since you have already been able to log into the system, that is what is stored in LKGC, so your computer shouldn't be any different than now. My apologies.

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello & Welcome to TechGuy.org
    Which Acer Aspire? Some computers have a recovery option that will wipe out your hard drive's C: partition & re-install Windows. Some computers also have an option to store the user's data some place.

Were it my computer, which it is not, I wuould copy my data to a flash drive before trusting a company to know which data is important to me & which data is not important to me.

You might be able to repair Windows.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
    The process does not re-install Windows.

OR, you could boot your computer to a disk such as KNOPPIX & copy your important data to flash drives.
    http://lifehacker.com/192982/geek-to-live--rescue-files-with-a-boot-cd

There may be methods of booting to some type of disk and copying your data to optical disks. I have read about Hiren's disk, but not used it.
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

RF123

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice