1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extreme Gaming VS. vendors overpriced systems & your opinions!

Discussion in 'Games' started by tjamnz, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

I been looking at some extreme systems online, and the pretty cases they come in, and was thinking i could build a system that could compete with alienware/xps systems for way way less.

I hand picked components that look good and will get the job done, the same or nearly the same specs as the xps/alienware and other gaming systems.

Tigerdirect.com.
    1. Really cool case, blue lights, see through side panel w 450w power supply $39.99
    2. 256MB Radeon ATI X1950 pci-express $225.00
    3. Asus extreme gaming mobo M2N-MX $84.99
    4. 2Gigs of DDR2 $200.00
    5. Intel duo-core w' fan 2.13 GHz 239.00
    6. XP pro new in package/pricegrabber.com under 100 (reliable/stable) / or vista upgrade around 100. (recommend to wait a few months)
    7. Quality laser mouse and keyboard $75.00 or less
    8. 250 GB SATA Hard drive $60
    ....and last but not least the
    9. L12-1128 1. Lite-On LH-20A1P SuperAllwrite / 20x DVD±R Burn / 16x DVD±R Read / 8x DVD+RW / 6x DVD-RW / 8x DVD±R DL / 12x DVD-RAM / 48x32x CD-R/RW / Black / DVD Burner for $40 bucks.

(the only rebate item was the SATA HDD.)

Amazing sys for just $1064 maybe add 30 bucks for shipping (just under 1100)

Extreme Gaming is within reach after all!

Ive seen many similar pc's that are selling for 3500 to 4500 dollars.

I believe that major vendor systems are fine indeed, but mainly just interested in what some experienced pc gamers have to say abou the subj. Thanks for any feedback.

2. acameron

acameron

Unless that case comes with a name brand power supply, which I doubt, scrap that one and buy a solid name brand one. The power supplies they sell with the cases are usually junk.

Also, if you are planning on using Vista at any point, now or the near future, get a graphics card that supports DX10.

3. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Thanks for the solid advice!

[​IMG]

Gamespot.com reports:
    We expect Nvidia and ATI to ship their first DX10 cards in the second half of this year, but you don't need to rush out and get one if you're afraid of game-compatibility problems. Game developers understand that it will be several years before the DX10 installation base surpasses the DX9 installation base. All games, including Vista exclusives Halo 3 and Shadowrun, will be DX9 and DX10 compatible for several years after Vista's arrival.

as for a power supply... i found a
    HEC 480 Watt Gaming Power Supply / Dual PCIe Connectors / Quad SATA Power / Dual 12V Rails / ATX & BTX Compatible / 3 Year Warranty for 75 bucks

The price point for "the syst above" is pretty much the same. Also i enjoy playing half-life/CS so its pretty much a non issue for me at this point

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice