1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extreme noise when running games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TenaciousLee, Jul 11, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. TenaciousLee

TenaciousLee Thread Starter

When I'm running games, currently Dragon Age Inquisition, the noise goes into overdrive. I have No lag, just noise. I have a Dell XPS 8300 stock and it's 6 years old now.

I am about to upgrade the RAM to double it. I have blown the computer out and the sound is still bad. But even if my boys are playing Roblox I feel like Space Oddity should be playing in the background.

Let me know if you need more info.

2. Sponsor

3. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello TenaciousLee,

Can you describe the noise as best as you can for us as in is it like screeching or rumbling as a couple of examples.

4. TenaciousLee

It's like an acceleration sound. If it were a car it runs like if you stepped on the gas and never changed gears. Like a jet engine starting up.

No screeching or banging.

5. phillpower2

phillpower2

Some failing HDD sounds here, see if any sound similar, the laptop hard drive with stuck spindle trying to spin up with siren and 500GB desktop hard drive with bad bearings can't gain full rotational speed. in particular.

Btw, was thinking along the lines of cooling fan bearings being the cause.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sounds like a cpu fan running at full speed due to overheating. What are your temps? Post temp under a full load ie while running prime95 or Intel burn test [both free downloads]

7. TenaciousLee

I'll have to check out the sounds clips on those sites when I get to my computer. I had a feeling that it was either going to be a fan or harddrive. Thank you Phillpower for your suggestion.

Crjdriver how do I check the temps? I honestly have never attempted to check them.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Being it is a dell, you are somewhat limited. Use hardware monitor (free download) If this was a custom build with gigabyte or Asus board, you would have real monitoring software.

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

I have a Dell server PowerEdge SC430 that did that and it was the CPU fan, sounded like jet engine. It had the aluminum fined heat sink, replaced it with one like the picture and put new thermal paste and it is very quiet now with a 3.4GHZ Pentium. You may need to clean and reapply the thermal paste. 5315_J9761_jpg-550x550.jpg

10. TenaciousLee

In response to the sound links that phill posted a link to it sounds like the WD bearings clip. However I feel like there's more to it. For instance it could b that plus a fan. But idling there is reasonable noise almost unnoticeable.

Crjdriver can you post a link to the monitor program you mentioned please? I'm seriously wondering about the cpu fan/heat sink. Especially since I have had this pc for 6 yrs and never reapplied any thermal paste.

11. Paragon7734

Paragon7734

Sorry to jump into the conversation, I'm new here and was just reading through.

One of my roommates had a similar issue when he played certain graphic intense games his computer would sound like a plane taking off. Since you said it was a stock computer I would wager it is the CPU fan speeding up because the heatsink and fan are having trouble dissipating the heat. Could also be a bearing inside the fan itself, I had that problem myself not too long ago.

You can get a good quality heatsink and fan for under $40, the one I put in my roommates computer was $29 after tax.

12. phillpower2

phillpower2

Apologies for the late reply, not been around for a couple of days.

HWMonitor

13. TenaciousLee

It's cool I appreciate your help. I installed my new RAM and ran Dragon Age Inquisition, like I was talking about. When the computer was in full flight mode I ran HWMonitor. I'm hoping you know what it means. Here's what I got...

Attached Files:

14. TenaciousLee

When I close the game down it sounds like a normal computer. But once it starts loading the interface for the game it starts making noise and gets increasingly louder.

15. lynx1021

lynx1021

OK ,your CPU is a little hot (55-59C) but your video card is too hot (99C) and that is probably hearing the fan on it. It is probably running wide open. Need to check for dust and plugged in the cooling fins and clean it and the CPU cooler. Dust can and will clog up and kill a GPU.

16. phillpower2

phillpower2

Agree with lynx1021.

Do you mind if we try a different approach, HWMonitor txt includes too much stuff that we do not need;

Please take expanded screenshots of each program for us;

Download Speedfan from here and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

[​IMG]

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192815