1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Extreme" sorting in Excel 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by holymoly, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

I have taken two excel files together and am trying to sort according to one common field.

The problem I have done a sort for the two databases by that field merged the two databases in one spreadsheet but I cannot line up the contents for the same field as both databases have some different data in that field.

for example:
    database 1 Database 2
    Name Salary Name Address

Frank 50,000 Brian 50 Nowhere st
    Margaret 45,000 Frank 123 Street
    Simon 85,000 Gertrude 10 Downing
    Theresa 35,000 Simon 24 Sussex

Please don't recommend V-lookups as I find them too complex to setup.

2. OBP

OBP

holymoly, can you post a small part of the workbook, with false data as the format of your data may have lost something in the posting.
    What type of "Sort" do you want to do?
    Or do you mean "Search"?

3. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

yes, the format got messed up.

Check this file:

Attached Files:

4. OBP

OBP

Ok, I see what you want to do.
    Do you have Access?

5. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

Can't I use excel?

6. OBP

OBP

holymoly, if you have Access then I can create you a database that will automatically import the 2 databases, put them in to one table, all sorted for you and then export that to a new Excel worksheet that is all sorted.
    I can do it in Excel using Visual Basic (Macro).
    Or possibly using Lookups, but like you I am not very good with them, so you would have to wait for one of the Excel Gurus.

7. ~username~

~username~

I had a similar scenario where I needed to marry two Excel worksheets that shared a common data column, and I found an Excel add-in that did it easily. It is a third-party product called DigDB. It is not freeware, but it is affordable at $39 for a 6 month "subscription." Here is the page which I believe describes what you are looking to do: http://www.digdb.com/excel_add_ins/join_merge_tables_lists/.

I know this sounds like an advertisement, but I'm really just a DigDB fan. In fact, seeing your post prompted me to register so I could reply. I hope this helps.

8. OBP

OBP

~username~, why pay for something that can be done with a little "Application" at a Macro.
    No pun intended.

9. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Especially at $80/yr.
    I guess this is what makes people say MS Office is expensive.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice