1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extremely high--99%--physical memory usage

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lucyisee, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lucyisee

lucyisee Thread Starter

I'm not a tech-adept person, so would really appreciate some help. The physical usage is at 98-99%, then after quite a while it drops only into the mid-80% and when I try to do anything, it zooms back up to 99%.
    Can't get my PC to do anything -- tried to open Malwarebytes but can't get past the first screen to activate it or Iobit Advanced System Care.

I force quit (held the on-button on until computer shut down) and now it's doing a disk-check, but it had just done that when this trouble started an hour ago, so I'm not very optimistic.

I don't even know what "physical memory" means.... could the fact that I downloaded a dozen or so 3mb photos to the desktop recently be a factor?

Okay, chkdsk is finished, am waiting for boot up. It's taking a very long long time. I've got just the black screen with the little bar with little green vertical bars running across above "Microsoft Corporation" Meanwhile, I'll post this and hope somebody sees it and can help.

Okay, the first Vista screen has come up (with the three users to choose from). I'm trying one of the other users (they're all me) just to see what happens. It's assembling slowly.

I'm going to post this now and will welcome a response!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Download and save the

TSG System Information Utility

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire text here.

-------------------------------------------------------

I strongly advise you to stop using IObit Advanced SystemCare and any other "fixer/cleaner" type apps that you're using.

They can damage Windows and break programs and generate error/warning messages and wreak havoc with a computer.

3. lucyisee

lucyisee Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. My computer is working now, after I uninstalled Google Chrome. I did then use Iobit AdvanceCare (the free version). I have been using it for about a year, on advice of a tech person where I work.

However, I'm afraid this problem will crop up again, so I appreciate the help. Here's the info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1789 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 228128 MB, Free - 132196 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 866 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RY206
    Antivirus: ZoneAlarm Anti-virus Antivirus, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell Inspiron 531 or Dell Inspiron 531S desktop.

Which model do you have?

What's the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker?

5. lucyisee

lucyisee Thread Starter

It's Dell Ispiron 531S Service Tag 9QL1HD1

6. lucyisee

lucyisee Thread Starter

And, yes, the problem is back, though not yet up to 98 or 99% -- RAM hovers around 76-83

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and downloads site that's specific only to your Dell Inspiron 531s desktop.

I suggest you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

---------------------------------------------------------

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - "Startup" tab.

Write down ONLY the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.

If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I am assuming that you are looking at the Task Manager. If the Memory Usage is close to 90/99% again, go to Processes and see which one is using the most Memory Usage.

As to Physical Memory, that is the Memory (RAM) that the computer has. I think the video card is also using the Physical Memory as well so in theory out of the ~2GB of RAM you have right now, your computer may be using as much as 1.25GB from Windows Vista and video card itself. Once the RAM has been used up, it will use Virtual Memory, which is actually a space on the hard drive that get used in place of the Physical RAM. The downside is that the hard drive will be constantly in use and will produce the slowness that you see.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    lucyisee:

The Dell Inspiron 531s has 4 slots and supports up to 4 GB of RAM - up to 1 GB in each slot.

Yours currently has 2 GB of RAM, so it either has a 1 GB module in 2 of its 4 slots or it has a 512 MB module in all 4 slots.

Whatever the setup is, you should max it out with 4 GB of RAM.

Windows Vista 32-bit will use about 3.25 - 3.50 GB of 4 GB of RAM, but it's still better than having only 2 GB.

Actual RAM is much faster than using virtual memory from the hard drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice