1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

extremely limited user accounts on XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kman1000, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

My wife wants to use my computer to watch DVDs but she knows absolutely nothing about computers. I want her to be able to use my computer when I am not home but not mess up anything. I was thinking about creating a separate account for her in which the only thing she can do on the computer is:

- login/logout of her extremely limited account (NOT my account)
    - open Media Player Classic
    - access the folder where the files she wants to watch are (only that folder, no access to any other folder on the entire computer)

That's it. I see computers like this set up on the military base where my dad works at. This way she won't be able to mess up anything at all. And I do not want her to be able to access the internet or any of my personal files, that way I will not have to worry about viruses or her accidentally deleting anything.

How do I do this? Thank you!

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Have you looked at the Guest Account on XP? Properly configured that requires no p/w to log on. The Guest can use the system but not make any changes/deletions or install progs.

Hope this helps?
    This info:
    When you use the Guest account to log on, the following activities apply:
    • You do not require a password.
    • You cannot install software or hardware.
    • You cannot change the Guest account type.
    • You cannot create a password for the account.
    • You cannot change the Guest account picture.
    • You cannot access the applications that have already been installed on the computer. (But hopefully the Guest can use them? Not sure!)
    • You cannot access the files in the Shared Documents folder.
    • You cannot access the files in the Guest profile.

3. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

@richard - That is not what I am looking for because I actually want to be able to define what they can and can not do very precisely. In the future, I am probably going to want to allow her to use the internet but only on the three sites that she loves. I want my her internet access blocked to everything else.

4. 1002richards

OK. Strange as it may sound it may be that you're looking at a limited account with a separate Parental Control prog installed.

5. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

Hmm. How do I specify the user permissions on the limited account then?

I'll make a thread about which parental control program is better later. For now, I need to at least get the account created with the specific permissions allowed that I would like allowed.

6. 1002richards

7. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

That is not what I am looking for, Richard. I already know how to do that. My question is how to set up specific user permissions.

8. 1002richards

Ok, I'll move over and see if someone can help you.

9. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

Oh no, I did not mean it like that. I appreciate the input, it's just that what I require is seemingly far more complicated than that unfortunately. I do hope someone has experience with this. This is how the computers are set up on base where my dad works. I did not think it would be this difficult to set up...

10. 1002richards

That's OK :) I only meant I was not able to help further - as I don't know the answers.:)

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The best thing to do, is get her, her own machine and if she messes it it up that will not be messing up your data, and she will not have access to your data.

This way maybe she will learn how to use a computer.

12. 1002richards

I agree with DaveA - her own machine with something like Returnil that makes it easy to put things back how they should be if one makes a mistake.

13. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

I would rather know how to specify the user permissions...

14. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I do NOT think you can do the limitations that you are wanting to do.

Then you need to teach her about using a computer and start trusting her more than you are now.

Yes, they are on a DOMAIN type of networking and all data is saved to the network and not locally. This way IT people have control of the data and are watching all of the time. You do not have the time or money to do this the same way.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice