1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extremely Low Internet Speed?? What Is Going On??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jason Ess, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jason Ess

Jason Ess Thread Starter

Alright. I have AT&T Express.
    Downstream: 384kbps-1.5mpbs is what they say.
    I am getting 323 based on their test on their help site. I have no clue why this is happening, I have just started to realize that the internet is slow compared to others.

Modem is a Siemens SpeedStream 4100 (since theirs wireless), connected to a router D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router

EDIT: My router page (192.168.0.) says that I have a "Max Allowed Download speed" of 384 kbps! Shouldnt it be 1.5mbps??

I dont know if its the settings here..maybe. AT&T says maybe a line problem.

When I d/l a file, I get 40kb/s. That is MESSED UP!

ANY suggestion would be helpful....Ive had this transfer rate for 2 years.

Help.

2. Nitro316

Nitro316 Banned

Thats ATT, they shape bandwidth traffic on downloads.

3. Jason Ess

Jason Ess Thread Starter

Yeahhhh....kinda was looking for help...not opinions or conspiratorial thoughts.

Below the minimum of 384 is definitely not right.

Not trying to be cold or mean, just want this solved after 2 years of wasting money.:p

4. Nitro316

Nitro316 Banned

want help dont be cheap, buy cable internet

5. Jason Ess

Jason Ess Thread Starter

Dont be cheap? Paying 25 dollars and in this economy.

Please remove advanced from your experience if that is all you can come up with.

Now will someone please help? :(

6. avisitor

avisitor

$25 should indeed by 1.5Mbps down and 384kbps up. You should call AT&T and verify that that's indeed what you subscribe to and have them reconfigure your modem.

7. Nitro316

Nitro316 Banned

I highly suggest your reevaluate your ability to make complex decisions. You started by posting about ATT have crappy dl speeds. All I did was tell you why your ATT DSL sucks. Its not a conspiracy ATT has admitted repeatedly to shaping bandwidth of users who download large about of information. If you want to "troll" then try Fark or Slashdot. For the record 25 dollars is cheap. When cable has 20Mbs connections for 50 bucks which is exponentially faster than your "expensive" dsl connection.

8. Jason Ess

Jason Ess Thread Starter

Yeah verified it 3 times lol. They think it is a line problem but I have filters on all my lines...They said call tomorrow cause they closed at 7:00 :(

Thanks for all support..

Anything else????

EDIT @Nitro. Ok. There crappy, but if they shape traffic how come the guy next door who has AT&T Express get such better speeds. Its not like there's no freaking solution, which is why I came here, because the ADVANCED people actually help.

9. Nitro316

Nitro316 Banned

Oh and it is not 384 kbps to 1.5 kbps per seconds.
    Max Downstream is 1.5 mbps
    Max Upstream is 384 kbps

So I doubt I will be changing my experience when I know more about your internet connection than you know.

10. Jason Ess

Jason Ess Thread Starter

No.

Max Downstream varies from 384 kbps 1.5 mbps. (just talked to 3 different people on this-exact words.)

Max Upstream is 384kbps

From website: Downstream Speed: Up to 1.5 Mbps
    Upstream Speed: Up to 384 Kbps

Link: http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10935

O and mbps per seconds..I think thats already in the name. Good job.

PLEASE READ WHAT I WRITE :)

11. Nitro316

Nitro316 Banned

key words being "up to" went ahead and changed my experience just for you.

12. avisitor

avisitor

@Nitro316, that is not a very good way to start off around here, it's not going to get you anywhere.

I personally am completely happy with AT&T DSL for reliability. Speed leaves a bit to be desired, but it's ok. (I personally subscribe to both AT&T DSL (the $15 package) and Comcast Cable (the $65 package) that way when Comcast is out, I still have internet.)

Upload a screenshot of your modem status page. The one you refer to in an earlier post.

13. Jason Ess

Jason Ess Thread Starter

Here ya go avisitor, thanks for interest and help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dang. Nitro has a temper. Btw, nitro. they say the minimum is 384kbps for the downstream..so thats what I wrote..calm down.

14. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Hey, guys,

Let's stop with the snarky comments to each other and stick to the problem at hand. :)

Thanks.

15. Nitro316

Nitro316 Banned

avi, the guy is trolling so its not to important but yeah check it, edited ss for ipv6 addresses but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice