1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

extremely odd dns problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jghost5, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jghost5

jghost5 Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I have a dns issue I beleive.
    Internal network has sbs2003 domain controller with 192.168.230.2 as dns server.
    VPN to 5 locations and we have just switched email/web services from one provider to an other.
    With pdc controlling dns we see old webpage and only are able to send/receive email within our email domain. If I switch dns on client pc's to comcast dns we are able to (with some errors) send/receive email and see new webpage. I switch back to let pdc control dns and we can't receive email and see old webpage.
    Have contacted comcast cable and they say dns has updated at modem but I think the pdc is not allowing the connected clients to update dns for new servers.
    These servers are outside of the building and 3rd party to us.
    Any leads on how to rectify this problem is certainly greatly appreciated.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

OKay here is what you want to do. On the server you want to go to the NIC settings and put the DNS information as its own IP or 127.0.0.1. On the client PCs you want to go to the NIC settings and put the IP of the server as your DNS/Domain server. If your running DHCP change this information wherver DHCP is supplied. Lastly you want to go into the DNS setup on the server and put forwarders from the PDC to the New ISPs DNS servers (which they should be able to supply you our you can get either from the router/modem configuration. More than likely this last step was not changed when you switched ISPs and your old ISP does not have open publi use DNS servers.

Think of DNS as a linked setup

Client DNS points to server - Server DNS points to itself - DNS application in server points to ISPs DNS server - ISPs DNS server resolves from the primary Internet DNS servers.

If you change the dns configuration and say change the clients to the outside DNS your breaking the internal DNS that AD relies upon.

3. jghost5

jghost5 Thread Starter

Thanks, that was what I figured! I am not very versed in the forwarding in server forwarding. I see under dns forwarding and reverse lookup but don't really know where to go. It asks some questions in the wizard that I just didn't understand. Like it starts with default site, etc.
    So I want to go into forwarding? and add nt2.offtheair.net etc?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Actually its here -

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/w2k3/services/DNS_conditional_forward.htm

The main thing to note is the All other DNS domains. Keep that highlighted and in the section below you have the IP addresses.

You MUST have the ip addresses not the domain names of your ISP's DNS servers and input it there.

So a complete walkthrough is -
    1)Start at the server icon in the DNS snap-in (not the Forward Lookup Zone). Right click, properties, Forwarders (Tab).
    2) Select All other DNS domains.
    3) Under Selected domain forwarder IP address list - A) remove any ips from your old ISP B) Add the IPs of your new ISPs DNS servers.

5. jghost5

jghost5 Thread Starter

Thanks VERY much for taking the time to respond back. I'm planning a test to see how this will work for me and have read the link you've enclosed.
    God Bless!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice