1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extremely odd website access issue

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by The_PC_Gamer, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The_PC_Gamer

The_PC_Gamer Thread Starter

Very odd issue. I have a website hosted with GoDaddy. Starting a few days ago, my website became not accessible to me.

I can PING and TRACERT to the website, but I cannot open the website in any browser - not via IP, not via hostname. It just gets a timeout error.

Here is the weird thing: I am in Canada, and I cannot web-navigate to my site from either home or work ISP. My friends in USA and in Australia are having the same issue - ping ok, but timeout in browser.

On the other hand, for a bunch of friends it DOES work in browser.. in usa and canada.... How can this be? It works for some but others get a timeout? All in different ISPs? This has never happened before, website has been running for years.

Any ideas would be great.... really stumped.

2. ehymel

ehymel

Possible scenario:

Your friends that can see the site are actually seeing a locally-cached version of the site, but not the actual live site.

Your site's IP can be accessed by ping/tracert only tells you that the server's network is up. But it sounds like the *web* server is down. You'll have to contact your host (GoDaddy) to correct.

I'm sure lordsmurf will weigh in on the terrible idea it is to host with GoDaddy. I have to agree, I haven't heard much good about them as a host.

3. The_PC_Gamer

Thank you for your reply

I know for a fact it's the live version of the site.

Heck -> I can't access the site from my home. But if I use a Proxy, The site loads just fine... I can also load the site from my phone's web browser.

But again... friends in Los Angeles and Australia can't load the site. Haven't told them to try via proxy yet.

I spent an hour with GoDaddy support, basically they said all is OK on their end, and it sounds like some kind of global ISP issue with that IP/subnet.

I have also used HostTracker to run my site's results, I get about 8 nodes who get the timeout, the other 61 are OK

4. ehymel

ehymel

Interesting... maybe there is something global going on, like in the net's name servers.

Are you ping'ing by IP or domain name?

5. The_PC_Gamer

My website can reply to both: ping by IP and ping by hostname (so again, DNS functions with no problem).

It seems like something completely weird, as if some ISPs are blocking ports to my website? Because FYI I can't web or FTP to my site from home. But can ping it and tracert.

6. DrP

DrP

Sounds like a server issue rather than a DNS issue.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice