1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extremely slow CD-ROM speeds. over 7 minutes to read a cd!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SecretIan, Sep 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

Hey guys, I dont have much time to write this post so I will try to make it quick:

I was just now trying to burn a copy of a music cd, when I noticed that it was going pretty slow (considering that I have a 52x Cd reader and a 48x CD burner). The creation of the image file alone took like 7 minutes. The program I use is nero burn, but I also tried cloneCD to see if there was a difference and there was none. I had 52x read and 48x write speed manually selected (not highest) with both programs, and I tried a few different CDs but it was still very slow. After I was pretty convinced that something was wrong with the drive, I ran one final test. I ran the nero CD-DVD speed APP (test results are at the bottom) from the nero toolkit, and sure enough it was reporting my avg read speed over the whole test to be about 12x!

I am thinking that it may be a BIOS or windows setting but Im not sure. Both LG and ASUS have terrible tech support(I dont expect replies from them for at least another week), so you guys are really my best hope. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cuz I need it. Here are my system specs:

nero test results-
    General Information
    Operating System Windows 2000
    Drive HL-DT-STCD-ROM GCR-8520B
    Firmware Version 1.00
    Serial Number
    Disc Data CD
    Capacity 62:41.56

Transfer Rate
    Start 7.84x
    End 16.69x
    Average 12.78x
    Type CAV

Seek Times
    Random 89 ms
    1/3 98 ms
    Full 175 ms

CPU Usage
    1X 7 %
    2X 14 %
    4X 21 %
    8X 100 %

Interface
    Burst Rate 750 KB/sec

Spin Up/Down Times
    Spin Up Time 3.10 sec
    Spin Down Time 3.89 sec

Load/Eject Times
    Load Time 1.17 sec
    Eject Time 1.03 sec
    Recognition Time 7.19 sec

Log
    Time Elapsed Action
    [20:05:18] Starting Transfer Rate Test
    [20:08:54] 3:37 Speed:13 X CLV (11.99 X average)

Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4
    Athlon XP 2500+ @ Stock
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X2.0 REV 2.xx (NForce2 driver ver. 2.45)
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X2.0 ACPI BIOS Rev 1006
    HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8520B (52xCD)
    HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B (48x24x48CD/16xDVD read)
    MAXTOR 6L060J3(60.04 GB)
    512Mb PC3200 ValueRAM, single Channel mode (for now) CAS 3.0 4-4-7
    RADEON 9800 PRO @ Stock (Driver ver. 6.14.10.6368)
    IBM G78 [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n 55-K5150, December 2000)
    Creative SB Audigy

2. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

It looks like your CPU is being maxed out. Check your IDE controller's settings and see if DMA or UDMA is enabled for that drive.

3. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

I checked the controller in the hardware manage and dma was on, but I dunno how to do that in this BIOS. I just got this mobo and Im not very familiar with the BIOS.

I know with my old mobo (a7v8x-x) you could change the dma settings etc. but I cant find that control in this mobo's BIOS.

Oh and about the cpu usage test. I ran just the cpu usage test and it came out at like 0,1,2,4 or something like that, I think the reason why it is so high there is because the screensaver prolly would have turned on cuz I just left the comp and took a shower while the test was running.

Anyways, Maybe it is my cable setup too. I think I have both cd drives on one IDE cable, I dont think that should make a difference but I will try disconnecting one drive and testing the other.

Thanks for the help so far though, I dont think I will ever hear from LG or ASUS.

4. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

Ok I checked my cables and everything seems fine. I even disconnected the second optical drive so the 52x drive was on one IDE cable by itself and I got the same results.

This is turning into a real headache.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the drive is running in DMA mode, and the CPU usage isn't excessive, I'm not sure what else could account for the slow speeds. Just out of curiosity I took out a CD with 11 songs and 34 minutes of music and ripped it to WAV files with AudioGrabber, it took 90 seconds to generate the 11 WAV files, and the speed was in the 26x-34x speed as it ripped. This is a 52x24x52x drive I'm using. There is certainly something about your environment that's not right it would seem.

I fired up Nero 5.5.10.42 and asked for a disk copy, the time to create the disk image for the copy was 1:20 (80 sec).

What exact DMA mode is your CD running in? Do you have an 80 conductor cable.

6. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

Well i dunno about the 80 pin connector cable, but I had the thing going at regular speeds w/ my old mobo and winxp, so Im guessing its not the cable. Anyways, thats what I was wondering about the DMA mode, I dunno how to check :/ like I said, my old mobo let me manually change it, but I dont think u can with the a7n...

So basically Im screwed.

7. JohnWill

First off, you need to open Device Manager, and check under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers tab, Primary or Secondary Channel, Advanced Settings, and tell us what DMA mode the drive is in. The speeds you're talking about sound slower than PIO mode, so I'm pretty curious!

8. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

Oh ok sorry. Anyways, it says that device 0 on the IDE controller 2 is running in DMA mode and device 1 is running in UDMA mode, however there is no difference in speed between the two.

Also, right now I am looking at drivers for these cd drives, but none of the drivers on the webpage match my drive names... neither do the owners manuals...

9. JohnWill

The drivers are supplied by the O/S, there are no additional drivers loaded or required for optical storage devices. For driver in my system for the 48x24x48x CD-RW drive:

Attached Files:

10. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

hrmm... firmware maybe then?

11. JohnWill

I can't believe it's firmware, but I guess trying the drive in another system couldn't hurt. While you're at it, try another drive in your system there. Perhaps you can find a friend with a machine that won't mind taking it apart. :D

12. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

It was suggested to me in another forum to try updating nforce drivers, although I updated them when I got the mobo, maybe there is a new version or something...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/162845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice