1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extremely slow computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lanemom, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lanemom

lanemom Thread Starter

I have a Dell all-in-one computer running Windows 10 (AMD E2-Series - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive) using a wired connection. Internet speeds are ridiculously slow. I am paying for 300 mps and the highest speed I've gotten in speed testing is 28 mps download speed. TDS Telecom is my provider and has been out twice. They replaced the router, did multiple tests and found nothing wrong. Testing on their equipment using my connection is near 300 mps. The second tech checked wiring and connections- same thing. Works fine on his equipment, but not on mine. They think it's a computer issue. My wireless connection is fine with my other devices - the wired PC is the issue. My NIC is 1 gb. I've checked all the usual stuff that would clog up the computer and found nothing unusual. Could the small amount of memory installed be an issue? I've looked at Task Manager and didn't see anything unusual. Very few things are on the start up list. Can someone recommend what I can do to resolve this? I use Norton and Malwarebytes. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  3. lanemom

lanemom Thread Starter

On the first one i get 29 mps download, higher on upload. I'll try the other one when I'm at home with that computer.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

It could be the network card driver is not correct, look in the device manager and see if you see any yellow triangles. Memory shouldn't slow you down. I have spectrum and they advertise 100Mbps but I only get about 51Mbps, when I asked them about it they said "Up to 100Mbps

5. lanemom

lanemom Thread Starter

6. lanemom

lanemom Thread Starter

Don't see any yellow triangles. Everything looks normal.

7. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Now that is unusual Usually the Download will be faster than the upload.

You stated "TDS Telecom" is the provider. What technology is used ? cable ?

Are they stating symmetrical or asymmetrical service ?

8. lanemom

lanemom Thread Starter

It’s fiber. It’s symmetrical.

9. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    That is unusual.
    I am on FiOS and I am provisioned at 100Mb/s symmetrical and I get that or better using both speed test sites.

What hardware is used ?

Do you have a MoCA Router connected via coaxial cable WAN connection to the Optical Network Terminal ( ONT ) ?
    or
    Is the Router using an Ethernet WAN connection to the ONT ?

• What is the Router's Make and Model ?
    • Is the Dell AIO PC directly connected, using Cat5E or Cat6 Ethernet cable, from the PC NIC to the Router LAN port ?
    • What is the distance from the Dell AIO PC to the Router LAN port ?
    • What model is the Dell AIO ?
    There can be a couple of circumstances.
    • OS Overhead causing TCP/IP degradation under Windows 10
    • Hardware issues.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  10. lanemom

lanemom Thread Starter

The router uses an ethernet WAN connection. It's a TDS WiFi Modem T3200 and is directly connected by the ethernet cable from the router to the port on the back of the PC.
    The distance between the PC and the router is about 12 inches.
    The Dell is an Inspiron 22-3265.
    "OS Overhead causing TCP/IP degradation under Windows 10" - can you explain what this is?

11. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    The more I think about it, the more I lean towards OS Overhead causing TCP/IP degradation under Windows 10 and you indicated only 4GB RAM and its probably a 64bit OS.

I think that you should have your PC checked out for possible malware. Create a new post in the following sub-forum and reference this thread requesting that your PC needs to be checked out for possible malware.

Virus & Other Malware Removal

The forum helper will guide you through a process. When the Forum Helper indicates you are done, we can continue with this thread.

12. lanemom

lanemom Thread Starter

Thank you - I’ll do that.

13. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

14. lynx1021

lynx1021

Just a thought, have you tried another Ethernet cable? You need at least a Cat5E type, I hear they have a Cat 6 out now (up to 10 Gbps) They had a crossover Ethernet cable that was common years ago for connecting from one computer to another and I don't think that one would even work as network cable because the wiring was different.

15. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    I asked if the Dell AIO was connected via Cat5E or Cat6 cable as well as its length in Post #9.

Cross-over cables cross-over the send to receive pairs. Of pre-Gigabit Ethernet.
    Gigabit Ethernet considers the 4-pairs of twisted pair wiring as individual Full-Duplex 250Mb/s streams and aggregates them into a 1,000 Mb/s data stream.

When using an Ethernet HUB, which is nothing more than a muti-port repeater, cross-over ( mdi-x) and non-crossover ( mdi) mattered. However with new Ethernet Switches and Gig-E cards, they auto-sync to the speed ( 10, 100, 1000 ) and mode MDI and MDI-X. This may be known as Universal Cable Recognition and Auto Sensing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice