1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extremely slow download speeds.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by slj10, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slj10

slj10 Thread Starter

I have been having alot of troubles with download speed for the internet. I have done several speed tests on dslreports.com and the speed tests show that I should have a download speed of ~500-600kbps however when I go to download a file my download speed varies between 0 and 20kbps. I don't know why the speed test would show that I should have a proper download speed but the actual is roughly 5% of that.

I have changed the dsl cord and the ethernet cord and no change in speed.
    I have power cycled the modem ( I do not have a router) the modem is a Westell model F90
    I have plugged the modem in to different phone jacks, no change (unless they are all bad)

I saw the post that user Speediakal had put up and I tried to do a line quality test however it says my IP is not pingable

Do you think that the modem is the problem? Are there any other tests that I can perform to determine the problem?
    I am trying to get my isp out to look at the problem but they don't seem to care because to them they are 'providing the correct speed'
    Please help
    Thank you,

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to configure the firewall in the computer to allow ICMP (PING) responses to run the line quality tests. This test will give us a good look at what is going on.

3. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

One thing to rememeber, speed tests are measured in Kbitesps and file down load speeds in KBytesps. 8 bites = 1 Byte.

Having said that, for a 500Kbps connection, would expect file downloads of about 40 KBps.

4. slj10

slj10 Thread Starter

I will keep that in mind, thank you.
    I have a 768kbs modem and my speed is in the upper 500 to 650kbps range (according to the most recent speed tests on dslreports.com) I should be getting a download speed of 74 - 81KB/s. I wonder if the modem has a firewall that is blocking everything, I had a linksys router that did that once, a real pain to work with. There are some messages that appear in the modem's log everytime I download something but I do not know what they mean. I know that even though I disabled my virus software firewall and the computer's firewall I could not do the line quality test, so something was blocking the ping test...

5. hrlow2

hrlow2

That is still pretty good speed for dial-up,which it sounds like you have, talking about plugging into different phone lines.
    When I had dial-up, I was considering myself lucky to get near that speed.
    May want to check the in-house wiring,as old wires can also cause a slowdown.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/857478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice