1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extremely Slow Speeds Through WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TG7187, Apr 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion p6837c and I'm using an Edimax dongle to catch a WiFi signal since I'm unable to hard wire the desktop computer with Ethernet. According to Speed Test.net, I'm getting 2.75 Mbps download and 9.35 Mbps upload. Absolutely awful.

When I took my desktop to another room where I could use Ethernet, I'm getting speeds of 94 Mbps download.

I have another HP computer that has a WiFi card built in and I'm getting speeds with that one of 20 Mbps download.

Is there any advice on what I can do to increase the speed of the P6837c using, perhaps, a different WiFi desktop adapter?

The other option for me is pay my ISP to install another modem and then pay an extra $5/month. I'm open to doing that, but would prefer to buy a good desktop adapter that will get decent speeds.

Thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact description of that Edimax wireless adapter?
    If you have a webpage for it, please post the link to it.

Does your modem/router(unknown description) and Edimax wireless adapter support 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless bands?

A wired ethernet connection tends to produce higher and more stable download speeds than what a wireless connection does.
    Depending on how far away that room is from your modem/router, you might consider buying and using a 50' - 100' long ethernet cable.

---------------------------------------------------------------

TG7187 likes this.
  3. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

4. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

I logged into my router. It's a Netgear WNR2000v5. Not sure if this information helps, but I figured I'd post it anyway.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That "thumb size" wireless adapter you're using supports only the 2.4 GHz wireless band, and it's more suited for use with a laptop/notebook.
    This is the wireless adapter that I use with all of my desktops, and which I've had very good success with.
    It supports both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless bands, and it has a long USB cable so you can position it easily where you want it.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...190&cm_re=netis_wf2190-_-33-389-035-_-Product

I'm not familiar with your router, but it does support both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless bands. (y)

Who is your internet service provider(ISP), and which upload/download speed plan do you have?

----------------------------------------------------------------

TG7187 likes this.
  6. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Based on what you said in post #1, I guessed your ISP speed plan is 10 Mbps upload/100 Mbps download, but I wanted to be sure.

I've used one of those single antenna models, but it was a 802.11n model and supported only the 2.4 GHz wireless band, so I didn't have good success with it.
    The one you selected supports both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands and supports 802.11ac, so you may have good success with it.
    Personally, I prefer a model with dual antennas and that you can move around to obtain a better signal.

----------------------------------------------------------------

TG7187 likes this.
  8. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

Good to know. I think I'll consider ordering the one to which you linked. It's not much more expensive.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've been editing my last reply, so re-read it.

If you decide to order the same one I use, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

TG7187 likes this.
  10. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice