1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extremely Slow WiFi Speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nchurik, Nov 10, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. nchurik

nchurik Thread Starter

I'm having a really odd issue with my laptop. I will have periods of time (all times of day) when I get 2-3Mbps down but will still get my full 20-25Mbps up. During those times, other devices connected via Wifi (phone, other laptop) in the same room get the normal 75-150Mbps. It randomly comes and goes as other times it will be just fine.

I thought maybe it was a malware issue but I just wiped the drive and clean installed Windows and I'm still having the same issue. The laptop is a Dell XPS 15 9550 that I bought in early 2016. All drivers are up to date on the laptop and the router and I've power cycled everything though I don't think that would be the issue because other WiFi devices are just fine during the same periods.

At a total loss. Is it possible the WiFi card is bad? Log below.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8053 Mb
    Graphics Card: DisplayLink USB Device
    Hard Drives: C: 225 GB (175 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0N7TVV
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, it's possible. But first make sure you have the latest driver from Dell's web site. Do not rely on whatever Windows wants to install.

3. nchurik

nchurik Thread Starter

I do have the latest drivers from Dell. It seems crazy for a card to go bad in under three years, what are my options should that be the case?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Replace it (if it is easily accessible) or use a USB wireless adapter.

5. nchurik

nchurik Thread Starter

I'm thinking it has to be the card given I've got latest drivers and just clean installed Windows. It looks like it's pretty easy to replace so that's the route I'm going.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What wireless card is in there now ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice