1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extremely weird internet problem.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bodis, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodis

bodis Thread Starter

Hello guys, after my crusader around the web for a solution to my very, very odd issue I finally found my way leading here. I'm not a computer wiz and even though I try to talk the talk you'll have to bear with some less than professional terms.

Everything started this morning when I tried to log in to the online game Warhammer online. After several minutes of wating after clicking the Warhammer's .exe I got a error msg saying that the patcher could not recive the files needed from the patch servers and that I had timed out.

Then I noticed that several internet sites didn't work for me, they would take a long time to load and then proceed to time out. This however isn't consistent, some sites work perfectly while others don't.

Examples is that www.warhammeronline.com times out every time, while www.gamespot.com does work. I've tried multiple sites around the internet and many 'advanced' sites do work, again while others don't. Location of the sites doesn't seem to be of any importance.
    Other examples is that www.cnn.com doesn't work while foxnews does, it's just that random.

I've tried several online gaming platforms like Steam, Battlenet and even World of Warcraft. Each of them times out aswell, no exeption here.

I've run several broadband speed test which confirms my speed to what I ought to get, ranging from 95 Mbits with a local one, but never below 30 mbits in global. I pay for a 100/10 mbits line.

I run completly without a router or any kind of software firewall. I even went as far as to format my computer and reinstall windows.

Further I've tried my neighbors internet, she has the exact same provider and service as me, pays for the same speed even, and hers works perfect on my computer. We live in an apartment house and get our broadband from a network plug in the wall, not via ADSL. Our house is provided by the same ISP via a fiber line.

So in all, I've tried a different connection, I've formatted my computer, I've made sure all drivers are up to date, no firewalls, no router, tried seven (!) different network cables and yet I still have the problem. I have the correct IP and can ping my gateway without any problems. The only problem I could think of would be that the network contact/cable inside my wall has somehow been damaged, but is it even logical that an error like this would come out of a physical damage?

If you've bothered to read this far I thank you for your patience and hope to god you have any idea of what could be wrong. My ISP doesn't open it's costumer service until Monday :(.

Thanks in advance
    Stefan

2. BooRanger

BooRanger

May sound like a weird idea but try to connect off a web proxy. Do be carefull they can be dodgy.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The only thing that makes any sense at all would be that whatever gateway feeds the connection to your specific connection has some kind of block enabled. One easy test is to get your neighbor to bring her computer to your connection and see if she is then blocked from the same sites.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!