1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EZ Armour Firewall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jackbmc, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackbmc

jackbmc Thread Starter

Just reading back through all the help that you, and others, provided last fall on an OE issue. All is well on that issue.

However, as one would expect since I still have a computer, another issue has cropped up and after searching through the various forums here, I am not sure where to post it. I thought you could steer me in the right direction:

I have Windows XP (SP 2), Road Runner, EZ Armour Firewall (and other EZ Armor packages all provided free by Road Runner) XP's Firewall turned off, and I have a NETGEAR HARDWIRED Router (RP614v.3). I am not sure in which of these the problem lies, but Road Runner insists it is the router. Here is the problem: If I am away from the computer very long, I lose the internet and must reboot to get it back. In addition, I am often asked by EZ Armour Firewall to approve certain functions that I have approved many times, e.g. Win 32 xxxxx, Subsytemxxxxx, spooler something or other, (sorry, I don't write these things down specifically) and/or I am told "OE is acting as a server" and I need to approve that etc....in other words, the Firewall is not remembering the actions I have already approved. Whether this is related to the internet dropping out or not I don't know...I SUSPECT that it is and that it may occur when I am not here to "approve" the action, but don't know for sure. The router also goes to my wife's computer and ocassionally to my laptop. This problem occurs on my wife's computer as well, though it SEEMS she does not have to approve the functions as much as I do....she just loses the internet if she is away from the computer very long (hours). I have rarely lost the internet if I am actively using it. Oh, one other thing, I have disabled the EZ Firewall from time to time and used only the Windows Firewall....slight improvement, but not enough to indicate that was the right direction for a solution.

Questions: If the Router acts as firewall, could it be that the EZ Armour Firewall is in conflict? I have uninstalled EZ FW and reinstalled several times, and each time it SEEMS to solve the problem for as much as a day or two, but it returns so that is not the problem. Do I NEED a router at all? Can't I just use a "switcher" to send the signal to the other computers? We don't SHARE a network, just a signal.

Any thoughts, and of course, where to post this, would be appreciated. I can just cut and paste it to the right forum, but thought I would start here.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi jackbmc

I have moved this post to the All Other Software forum.
    We'll see how it does here.

I use ZoneAlarm and my router's firewall does not interfere with ZoneAlarm.
    I have most programs set to Ask for Internet access, except for my browser and a handful of other programs I use daily.

Does EZ Armour have a Program Control panel where you can set up each program with its allowed access?
    i.e. Allow, Block, Ask?

If you bypass the Router, does EZ Armour appear to remember your selections and does your Internet Connection still drop off?

3. BillC

BillC

Sounds to me like two things are going on. One...your firewall database is corrupt and two...you need to add your DHCP server IP to the Trusted Zone. Here is how to fix them.

First reset your database; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

Now make sure your DNS & DHCP server IP's to the Trusted Zone.They may have been added when you rebooted after the database reset, but if not...Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice