1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EZ Flash Drive stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fitz, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

I have had an EZ Flash drive (memory stick) for just over a year which has suddenly stopped working. Normally, my computer sees it as soon as I plug it into the USB, but now it doesn't.
    For a while I did get the computer to acknowledge that it was there as a removable drive, but it couldn't detect anything on it.
    I've tried re-installing it using the installation disk, but to no avail.
    Could it have become totally de-activated or wiped?
    Even if all the files on it have been wioed, I can't see why it can't be detected.
    I've checked the USB ports in Control Panel and they're all OK. :confused:

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

They do sometimes get corrupted. Do an FDISK and Format on it.

3. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

I thought it might have become corrupted so I tried the Format command through "My Computer" but there was no response. Nothing happened.
    Is there some other way to force a re-format?

4. DaveBurnett

Did you try fdisk? When they get corrupted it usually scresw up the partition table as well.

5. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Do I run that using the RUN command? I'm very cautious about reformatting. I don't wantto format the hard disk by mistake!

6. DaveBurnett

What version of windows are you running?

7. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Windows XP

8. DaveBurnett

Go to disk management and see if it is displayed there.

9. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

I'm not quite sure what you mean by Disk Management and the XP Help file is obscure on accessing this. It states: "To Open Disk Management 1. XOX 2. In the console tree, click Disk Management"
    I've no idea what "XOX" refers to, and any attempt to click on "Console Tree" I get a sign stating "Cannot display this page". In this area, the otherwise helpful and straightforward XP Help Page is pretty terrible!

I've managed to re-install the EZ Flash driver, and the computer sees a removable disk, but any attempt to park files into this is unsuccessful. There is a utility that comes with the software that is supposed to enable a low-level format, but when I click on that it uselessly informs me that it is already running when it blatantly isn't! This occurs whether or not Ihave the pendrive connected to the USB port.

I recollect that I did have to reformat the pendrive once before a couple of months ago on a Windows 2000 machine at work, which I'll try again tomorrow. If that doesn't work, then I think it's time to give up and get another pendrive (but not this brand!)

What I don't understand is, even if the data has been wiped or corrupted, why I cannot reformat the pendrive. Any attempt to do so through the "My Computer" route just doesn't work. I highlight the removable disk, the Format command appears in the File menu, I click it and nothing happens.

10. DaveBurnett

You cannot format a drive if the partition tables are corrupted, which may have happened.
    Disk management can be accessed by rt click My Computer and select Manage amd then Disk Management. You should see all detected drives and their status in th right hand pane. (I've just tried it on my 2k system so I presume it is the same on XP)

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, works the same on XP, and should solve his problem...

12. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I activated disk management, and, not surprisingly, it didn't even see the removable drive, so I guess that it's truly kaput, but at least I've learned something I didn't know, namely, in this case, what disk management is, and how to access it!
    Thanks for your help.
    I've ordered a new pendrive from Amazon.

13. DaveBurnett

I get mine from Dabs, they are a lot cheaper.

14. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

I'm happy with a 128mb drive for under £20.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice